Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Ver of DOS on HD if booting from FD ??

Default What Ver of DOS on HD if booting from FD ??

Hi all;
    I got another working 5150 with a working HD, kind of.
    The system wont boot from the HD. If I boot from FD, DOS 3.30, I can see and run programs from the HD.
    How can I find out what DOS version is on the HD? Then how to re-write the dos files without wiping the drive with a format c: /s?
    If I run some DOS system programs from HD I get 'wrong dos version'. The HD Dos file dates are 1/1/80, or 8/14/84.
    Thoughts, ideas, suggestions.
    Thanks
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

Blog Entries

1/1/80 files would have been created on a system without a clock so those can be ignored.

https://sites.google.com/site/pcdosretro/disklistings shows 8/14/84 dates for DOS 3.0 files.

Rewriting the DOS boot files might be possible with a SYS command, depends on why the drive isn't seeing the boot files.

8/14/84 would be IBM PC-DOS 3.00.

Really, I would recommend just updating to at least IBM PC-DOS 3.3.

The best way to update the system would be to get Norton Utilities 4.5 (4.5 is the best version for 8088 class machines) and use Disk Doctor to update the system files. You will also want to test the disk to make sure there are no bad sectors in the system area. Then just copy the rest of the DOS files in to C:\DOS or wherever.

Of course, as usual, once you get things set up and any potentially important data/programs archived off, follow up with Spinrite.

Thanks,
    I found a copy of 4.5 but it is an .img file. My win 98Se machine for some reason can not run WinImage ver 6,7,or 8. I get a pagefault error and it crashes. I tried in just win 98 and 95 and get the same error. I think must be something with the motherboard or drivers. Is there another program to write disk images to floppy disk? I tried the DOS version if diskcopy and it did not recognize the .img file.
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

Blog Entries

Try RawWrite for Windows. It's small and does an excellent job. Runs on Windows 9x up to 10. http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite Might be something wrong with the file.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Really, I would recommend just updating to at least IBM PC-DOS 3.3.
    I second that. PC-DOS 3.30 added features from the AT world and contained a few bugfixes, also.
    For example, it could handle an AT-style Real Time Clock and newer disk formats (like 3.5" with 1.44MB).
    And it came with a nice set of new, slick manuals that included pictures and a parrot as mascot.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
    In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." -The Minstrel

I use WinImage 6.1 under Windows 95 all the time and have no problems.

If something is borked inside Windows, other windows based tools might give you problems, so you might consider a DOS based tool. In DOS I like using ImageDisk because when something goes wrong it is fairly informative, but the catch is you have to convert IMG files to IMD first. But there is a conversion guide here: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discuss...s-to-imagedisk

Quote Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
    If I run some DOS system programs from HD I get 'wrong dos version'. The HD Dos file dates are 1/1/80, or 8/14/84.
    Thoughts, ideas, suggestions.
    I use a utility on my tweener called DosVer that let's any DOS program run from any other DOS release.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

[

If something is borked inside Windows, other windows based tools might give you problems, so you might consider a DOS based tool. In DOS I like using ImageDisk because when something goes wrong it is fairly informative, but the catch is you have to convert IMG files to IMD first. But there is a conversion guide here: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discuss...s-to-imagedisk[/QUOTE]

I seem to having trouble finding a download either ImageDisk or bin2imd. suggestions? thanks

Blog Entries

Could also be DOS 2.x--this was the first DOS version to explicitly support hard drives. There would still be some systems using DOS 2 in 1984.