Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Ver of DOS on HD if booting from FD ??

Quote Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
    Is there another program to write disk images to floppy disk? I tried the DOS version if diskcopy and it did not recognize the .img file.
    Have you tried the DR version if DISKCOPY? The DOS version is NOT for IMG files -- the DR version IS!
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I do not have the DR version. Do you have a link? Diskcopy is too generic to do a google search.
    I could use link to bin2img and Diskimage.
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Thanks
    but no joy here. same message as before. image file corrupt, incorrect version, not a diskcopy file.
    I have been having this huge issue for so long. I can not make real disks from the internet!! I know it is nobodies fault here. But I am total frustrated. I have spent many many weeks on this. (but not in a row)
    I have built 4 tweener machines. installed win 95/98 so many times I have lost count. changed hardware so much I have a huge stack of parts in the corner. Including a box of cables. And I still can't make a real disk!! I always get a page fault error from winimage 6,7,8 in all the setups. I have used 95/95 upgrade and retail disks. various ISO's from the web no difference. I use drivers from the manufacturer, or windows generic drivers. Still no change. What is the trick! this is not rocket science.
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

DR/Caldera "diskcopy", like so many other DOS based disk copiers, only supports their own proprietary format. They just happen to use the same file extension. Most IMG files out there are "raw sector images" as used by WinImage, rawwrite, "dd", and Mike Brutman's DskImage

Seriously, just try the ImageDisk http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm method I described from DOS (Win9x "Restart to ms-dos"). If there is something wrong with your hardware, hopefully it will give you some clue. ImageDisk completely bypasses DOS, so if there is any problem with the configuration/drivers, it should not care.

As for the other problems, perhaps you got a bad/wrong version of ImageDisk? It kind of sounds like you might have a virus floating around on your machines. Are any of your drives reported as running in BIOS compatiblity mode?

Thanks
    but no joy here. same message as before. image file corrupt, incorrect version, not a diskcopy file.
    Do this...

U/l these IMG files and post a link to them. That way some others can have a crack at it.

Also, post a link to where you originally got them.

Or just post the link to their original source if you're too spent right now to do anything more at the moment.

It also just occurred to me that installing WinImage 6.1 on the original release of Windows 95 requires an updated COMCTL32.DLL, and its setup program does not tell you that.

Blog Entries

Don't forget ImageDisk--it understands (via conversion) a number of image files and runs on DOS.

Thanks but no joy here. same message as before. image file corrupt, incorrect version, not a diskcopy file.
    I have been having this huge issue for so long. I can not make real disks from the internet!! I know it is nobodies fault here.
    But I am total frustrated. I have spent many many weeks on this. (but not in a row). [..]
    On a vintage PC, I often use one of these:

a) WinImage 3 on Windows 3.1x (works on a 286)
    -> video https://youtu.be/2HIk4YhBrGk
    b) Disk Copy Fast (DCF, DOS)
    -> video https://youtu.be/0zEVBO84afk
    c) QCopy v4 (DOS)
    -> link (shareware) http://reimagery.com/fsfd/bin/Simtel...TL/QCOPY40.ZIP
    "Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
    In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." -The Minstrel

Thanks everyone!
    Much appreciate all the help.
    Stone this is a run of IMD testfdc from the link you provided in #15.
    Perhaps this could shed some light on why I am having trouble.
    I am not 100% sure what I am see in these results, but i think I have a FDC issue? Of I am using teh wrong switches.
    Speaking of which. I am not not sure what the command string is to use idm to write a real disk.
    There are a lot of needed options that I do not know.
    Could you provide some help with that?
    Attached Images Attached Images