Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Information on PC Game Key Codes and Serial Numbers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    GOG defeats the purpose of having original media and manuals only having to pay for the same game twice to use it.

To get around the CD/DVD having to be in the drive you can use software to just mount an ISO image and most games have no CD hacks.

I kind of got bummed out when games started being sold with no game on the DVD (just an install to get steam installed and a serial).
    If you're a collector you may have a point, but I buy off of Gog just to play. I play alone and I like shooters. I find the likes of Gog handy and reasonable. Although I have a few Steam games that were gifted to me, don't get me started.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

I have a bunch of games from GOG as well, mostly because of price when on sale. I like how GOG bundles the manual in PDF but its not like having the original boxed games with a color printed manual (way back when those actually existed).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I have a bunch of games from GOG as well, mostly because of price when on sale. I like how GOG bundles the manual in PDF but its not like having the original boxed games with a color printed manual (way back when those actually existed).
    You're a purist. I would venture to say that most gamers, like me, are content to play a game that isn't hacked to Hades and back along with decent pubs. I have no interest in collecting boxes. Don't do stamps or coins either.

To get around the CD/DVD having to be in the drive you can use software to just mount an ISO image and most games have no CD hacks.

I kind of got bummed out when games started being sold with no game on the DVD (just an install to get steam installed and a serial).
    Is there a quick tutorial on how to use an ISO image to circumvent needing the CD to be in the drive?

I don't do Steam. Some love it, some hate it...to each his (or her) own. This is why I always want to see the back of the box when buying software. If it says either Steam or online activation required, I just move on.

One of the reasons I don't buy games off GOG is because I never seem to have the time to play them. As silly as it sounds, I can buy a boxed game or a physical game with the manual, put it on the shelf and then look at it and say "I gotta load and play that game some day". With a download, I'd forget it was even there.

I really like having the game and manual, even if the manual is only a couple pages. Even when buying used games I want the manual. Now I have to be more aware about making sure the games come with the installation codes. I don't need or want any online codes, just the codes that allow me to install and play on my non internet connected PC.

The unfortunate part of these games I bought as a lot is almost every game came with the manual in pristine condition, just no boxes (except one). And that boxed game requires a serial number which isn't there. But as I said in the OP, it looks like the original owner removed whatever came with the game containing the serial numbers.

Joe
    Last edited by Grandcheapskate; August 29th, 2019 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    Is there a quick tutorial on how to use an ISO image to circumvent needing the CD to be in the drive?
    I think all you need to do is mount the ISO and then point to that virtual drive to run it.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Isn't that ISO thing more of a hassle then just slipping the CD in? All of the games that I have that require the CD have a crack in place - no CD's. It sometimes takes a little effort to ferret out the cracks and some of the user sites are full good info on how to circumvent the CD thing. Caveat: I've found that some cracks are OS sensitive - so what works on 95 or 98 may not work for XP.

Blog Entries

Some old games have CD audio soundtracks or FMV that you need to flip multiple CDs in and out to play (Wing Commander IV for instance) so games don't install everything into the HD.

Sure there are cracks , serials, and no CD hacks for every game ever made but some people get nervous looking for them on the net and some could have a virus.

New pirated games and apps don't have virus but they do have malware installers (hackers want to get paid). They are also pretty huge downloads.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Some old games have CD audio soundtracks or FMV that you need to flip multiple CDs in and out to play (Wing Commander IV for instance) so games don't install everything into the HD.

Sure there are cracks , serials, and no CD hacks for every game ever made but some people get nervous looking for them on the net and some could have a virus.

New pirated games and apps don't have virus but they do have malware installers (hackers want to get paid). They are also pretty huge downloads.
    I just installed a version of Wing Commander 4 from Gog ($1.49). Runs off the HD and no video/audio problems.