Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on PC Game Key Codes and Serial Numbers

Default Information on PC Game Key Codes and Serial Numbers

HI Guys,
    I recently purchased a lot of 20+ used PC games which came with CDs and manuals which look pristine. The problem is all but two of them came without key codes. The seller acquired these from a liquidator who apparently removed all the jewel cases and jewel case booklets containing the keys, replacing them with paper sleeves. Neither I nor the seller knew this so we came to an agreement on a partial refund after I discovered the keys weren't supplied.

Now I need to figure out which games require a key and try to find them somewhere. While some of the games may not require a code, I'm sure most do. It will take me a long time to install each of these games to see when/if they ask for a key or serial number. For example, I had to fully install Legends of Might and Magic before it asked me for a key. On the other hand, NOX asked me for a key right up front (which I have been able to locate). If they all asked for a key when you first started to install that would be great, but I'm sure many of them wait until the game is fully installed; which means this could take a long time.

I am going to list the games here. If you know a game requires a key/serial number, or does not require a key/serial number, I'd appreciate you letting me know. I don't expect you to give me a key but just the knowledge of whether a key is required will save me lots of time.

Here goes:

Heroes Chronicles: Conquest of the Underworld
    Heroes Chronicles: Masters of the Elements
    Might and Magic: Heroes V
    Highland Warriors
    Majesty
    Neverwinter Nights
    Making History
    Outlive
    Moon Project
    Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    Panzer General II
    Night Watch
    Prince of Qin
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Outpost
    Earth 2160 (disk 1 only?)

Thanks...Joe

I think I have answered my own question. I test installed all the games (except Earth 2160 since that one is missing CDs). Some did not require a key and of those which did, I was able to locate a working key. There are only three games where I cannot locate a working key:

Highland Warriors
    Making History
    Outlive

Since these companies are out of business it would seem the games will remain unusable unless I one day discover a key. Since I have the original CDs and manuals I want to stay away from cracks and just find a legitimate code.

Thanks...Joe[/QUOTE]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    Since I have the original CDs and manuals I want to stay away from cracks
    Why do you want to stay away from cracks? You can prove ownership, so under the DMCA you're legally allowed to circumvent any copy-protection measures to get the programs working.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Unfortunately and increasingly for modern games, installation of games off disc can require some type of no-DRM crack, especially when the game wants to communicate with an activation server that has been shut down.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Why do you want to stay away from cracks? You can prove ownership, so under the DMCA you're legally allowed to circumvent any copy-protection measures to get the programs working.
    A couple reasons. First would be my ability to locate a "safe" fully functional crack; I have never downloaded a crack for anything. Second would be the possibility that in cracking the game, some function has been altered or eliminated. Plus since I have the original games, I would like to install from those discs.

I'm hoping someone has a legitimate key they can share. Since the keys are only used to install the game (and not to access online servers) and the companies no longer exist, there seems to be no reason the keys cannot be shared. At this point, the games have been abandoned.

Thanks...Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    Unfortunately and increasingly for modern games, installation of games off disc can require some type of no-DRM crack, especially when the game wants to communicate with an activation server that has been shut down.
    When you speak of 'modern' games requiring some sort of a DRM free crack to use, I don't know of any in the wild. When you buy a 'modern' game these days there are no executables, just a URL to Steam. Also, when you say 'modern' you're most likely talking about Steam, and I think they would be very difficult if not impossible to crack. The closest to 'modern' DRM free games that I know of are found on the likes of Gog. So, where do you draw the line on 'modern'?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    Since the keys are only used to install the game (and not to access online servers) and the companies no longer exist, there seems to be no reason the keys cannot be shared. At this point, the games have been abandoned.
    Abandonment is not a legally-protected concept. Also, anyone sharing the keys is not protected. However, you *are* protected to download any material you need to get the games running. So you have it backwards (legally speaking).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    When you speak of 'modern' games requiring some sort of a DRM free crack to use, I don't know of any in the wild. When you buy a 'modern' game these days there are no executables, just a URL to Steam. Also, when you say 'modern' you're most likely talking about Steam, and I think they would be very difficult if not impossible to crack. The closest to 'modern' DRM free games that I know of are found on the likes of Gog. So, where do you draw the line on 'modern'?
    The OP wasn't talking about Steam games, nor am I. I am talking about games from the first decade of the 21st century when software still came on disc, which I deem to be modern. Most if not all the premium games had copy protected CDs or DVDs, often which came with nasty stuff like SecuROM, Star Force and TAGES copy protection. These things would install rootkits on your C: drive, limit the number of installations by contacting activation servers, require the CD/DVD to be in the drive or had other consumer-unfriendly "features" that no one today would tolerate.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    The OP wasn't talking about Steam games, nor am I. I am talking about games from the first decade of the 21st century when software still came on disc, which I deem to be modern. Most if not all the premium games had copy protected CDs or DVDs, often which came with nasty stuff like SecuROM, Star Force and TAGES copy protection. These things would install rootkits on your C: drive, limit the number of installations by contacting activation servers, require the CD/DVD to be in the drive or had other consumer-unfriendly "features" that no one today would tolerate.
    We differ on modern. All of what you described above can be managed and done so legally; Gog for instance.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

GOG defeats the purpose of having original media and manuals only having to pay for the same game twice to use it.

To get around the CD/DVD having to be in the drive you can use software to just mount an ISO image and most games have no CD hacks.

I kind of got bummed out when games started being sold with no game on the DVD (just an install to get steam installed and a serial).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems