Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Atari STE/STF/STFM

Default Wanted: Atari STE/STF/STFM

Managed to get my hands on an Atari SC1224 monitor but sadly no computer came with it so I'm looking for an Atari ST. Both 520 and 1040 models are fine with me but I want one with the built in floppy drive. I'm in Pennsylvania but I'm willing to buy from anyone in the US who's willing to ship.

Your sc1224 probably doesn't have a cable. But even if it did, it's ST specific so it's useless for testing on a different computer (IBM PC + CGA, Commie 128, Amiga). I suggest you do that before assuming it works. You can get those 13 pin din connectors cheaply on eBay. I myself have to make several cables for my Ataris, for utilizing various multisync monitors. To date I haven't used my sc1224, no cable. I have to find a source for suitable shielded cable.

It does have a cable, it's hard wired to the monitor...and even if the monitor turns out to be no good I've found ST to VGA cables on eBay.

Blog Entries

I think my Atari ST monitor cables are hard wired as well (color and mono).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by itsvince725 View Post
    It does have a cable, it's hard wired to the monitor...and even if the monitor turns out to be no good I've found ST to VGA cables on eBay.
    STs don't put out vga compatible signals. It's not even an analog signal. So you know.

Edit: STe's likely put out analog video, but the freqs are still different from vga. You could get lucky as the sync timing is sort of close.

2nd edit: Ok some modern monitors will work according to reports on here and other sites. But as a rule a 31.5khz standard vga monitor isn't.supposed to work lol. But ymmv.
    Last edited by tipc; August 12th, 2019 at 11:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    STs don't put out vga compatible signals. It's not even an analog signal. So you know.

Edit: STe's likely put out analog video, but the freqs are still different from vga. You could get lucky as the sync timing is sort of close.

2nd edit: Ok some modern monitors will work according to reports on here and other sites. But as a rule a 31.5khz standard vga monitor isn't.supposed to work lol. But ymmv.
    The ST can put out two types of video signal. A "standard" TV compatible signal so 50hz so NTSC scan rates in the USA and PAL frame rates in Europe. All ST's output this as analog RGB. Those with a modulator, so the "M", "FM" and "E" present the same signal as composite, and as RF. In Europe many TVs can display the RGB signal via their SCART inputs.

They can also generate a "hi resolution" monochrome signal which most SGVA monitors can display which is why you see ST to VGA leads. This mode is supported by a lot of business software such as the Calamus DTP software https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamus_(DTP) and many MIDI sequencers. Most games don't support it....

<extra note>
    Hi es mono mode is selected by grounding a pin on the 12-pin video output pin.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Calling ntsc/pal/composite analog rgb isn't accurate. Yes tvs are made to accept analog color information. But a digital signal converted to ntsc still only contains digital r,g,b (and perhaps I) color info. By some fluke, certain vga monitors can display digital signals. But perhaps only 8 of a possible 16. Analog and digital video signals, specifically the actual video input to a monitor, are 2 very different things.

As I said earlier, being that the sync frequencies of an Atari are kind of sort of close enough to vga, some monitors can handle it. I only have 1 "VGA" monitor, more specifically a 19" KDS VGA and beyond multiscanner. Also have an IBM 5175 that doesn't work presently (may never). I'll build the necessary cables and report back. That's only 1 instance though. There's likely a lot of variability amongst models.

Ok, rereading your post, are you saying that at the 13 pin din plug analog video information is output? If that's the case then the sc1224 is in fact an analog rgb monitor, and "shouldn't" work with a CGa or Commodore 128 output (leaving aside totally the compatibility with an ntsc/pal monitor or tv). I may have misunderstood what you were saying.

Has anyone ever plugged an sc1224 into a cga card or Commodore 128's dsub output?

Blog Entries

If its not analog RGB how do you get 512 colours on three RGB wires? In low and medium resolution thats how many colors the ST can produce, so its the same as convrting a 256 color VGA signal to RGB its analogue.
    Normally you only get a limited palette but there are programs like "Spectrum 512" than can display all 512 colors on a single screen.

In low and medium resolution the signal frame rates match that of a TV , the RGB outputs are not NTSC or PAL but the line and frame rates match that of NTSC and PAL (depending on where the ST was destined for, so those with US ROMS generate RGB video at NTSC standard rates, European ROMed STs generate video at PAL rates). ST's with an TV Modulator, so the "M" and "STE" modules also produce composite in Low and Medium resolution, and this will be NTSC or PAL depending again on the ROMS and modulator.

Generally VGA monitors can't display ST low or medium resolution. One or two can, and many modern TVs which have VGA inputs will happily display these signals because they can process normal TV frequencies.
    The sync logic doesn't check which input the signal is coming from, but it recognises it as "standard TV style video" and syncs accordingly.

In ST high resolution the line and frame rates are different, and are close to the VGA standard, so in general VGA monitors can display ST HiRes output. This is monochrome and so is digital.

I note I am not alone in describing the output as PAL/NTSC when I check the Wiki Article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST

it says

Display modes (60 Hz NTSC, 50 Hz PAL, 71.2 Hz monochrome):

Low resolution: 320 200 (16 color), palette of 512 colors
    Medium resolution: 640 200 (4 color), palette of 512 colors
    High resolution: 640 400 (mono), monochrome

Also note that

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94

remarks that you can connect the RGB out to an analog TV. How can you do this if the output is "digital"?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    If its not analog RGB how do you get 512 colours on three RGB wires?
    Of course you're correct. And I knew this, just forgot. Apologies.