Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help w/ PSU for a Compaq SystemPro XL

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    If anyone has a recommendation for a good service that is free and handles bigger sizes (ideally without needing an account) please let me know! TIA!
    IMGUR is free and the account takes less than a minute.

Try IMGBB for no account.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    IMGUR is free and the account takes less than a minute.

Try IMGBB for no account.
    Stone,

These are actually are hosted on imgbb. I may have to make an imgur account for future use...
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Sorry...

Maybe try IMGBOX for another no account possibility.

I have put lots of stuff on IMGUR, I like it, and it comes highly recommended by many others. I think you can go without an account but it's much more efficient and useful with the account.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Sorry...

Maybe try IMGBOX for another no account possibility.
    My issue with the account thing is that you get marries to the service and they change their terms on you (Photobucket I am looking at you...) If there is no accounts then they are just a disposable resource.... But I don't want to stray away from the meat of this thread which is to get a SystemPro back up and running
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

What if your ISP 'changes their terms on you'?

Don't be paranoid... just make an account and reap the benefits while they are available. If worse comes to worse you can always take care of it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Bear,

That was my initial thinking as well. However, all the caps look pretty good. The PSU is actually in very good VISUAL shape for its age. I will post pictures later today. I have access to an ESR meter so I can ceck the smaller capacitors.
    Visual inspection isn't going to tell you anything about old capacitors. I see capacitors all the time that look fine, but are as bad as you can get. Shorted, off the charts ESR, excessive electrical leakage, etc.

All capacitors should be tested on an ESR meter and also observed for leakage. If you see capacitance readings that are more than 20% out of tolerance in either direction, they're bad. The fat line filter caps also need to be checked, they can go bad and cause all sorts of havoc.

It'll be a capacitor outside the power supply, and you can't tell by looking. You don't need an ESR meter, the offending part will be a dead short ...if that's the problem.