Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery meat Xeon-W is a dud

Default Mystery meat Xeon-W is a dud

And so am I for buying one.

Wired it all up to my Supermicro c422 socket 2066 motherboard. Some blinkenlights but not much else. I pulled the heat pipe h/s off to see if there was any warmth - nada. Zilch. Maybe I'm missing something. Besides a brain? And I don't have any compatible ram, but on other boards at least you'd get an audible indication.

In all fairness I can't leave the guy negative feedback. But neutral for sure. Just can't understand why there isn't more feedback left for.these things. Most of the feedback that was left (and that really isn't saying anything) is positive.

I plan to delid it and see what's ailing the thing. First I have to learn how. I've seen these contraptions they use, but wouldn't solvents make more sense?

Now I have to start saving for a real cpu.

That sucks. Probably someone who's got a bunch from recycled systems, some work and some don't.

Well the listing calls them blank, and the heat spreaders appear new (I.e not sanded). There's speculation on a couple of sites what these things could be. They're heavy and seem legit. One guy posted a photograph of the innards. Don't know enough to say whether it's legit or not.

First things first I'll buy some ram. I'll keep the mobo, eventually buy a boxed or even used cpu somewhere.

Oh why oh why!

Blog Entries

Get a stick of ram first.. Alot of server board are dead as a doornail without ram installed.

Also see if the IPMI is responding on your network to see if it can tell you anything.

Default username/password for supermicro is ADMIN, ADMIN.

Later,
    dabone

What if I eliminate the.cpu altogether? Could that damage the board? If not, would there be any diode activity? I have to.peruse the manual and see what the lights.indicate.

Blog Entries

Which board is it? I'll give the manual a look see also.

MBD-X11SRM-F-O

I was perusing the manual myself last night but got tired. Imo this product isn't docyumented as well as say some intel server boards. It doesn't even specifically tell you what size p/s you need. I doubt the specific questions I asked will be answered in the manual.

Also not an exact match:

https://www.supermicro.com/support/r...es/results.cfm
    Last edited by tipc; August 13th, 2019 at 11:22 AM.

Ok powered it up for 3-4 minutes, h/s off. The cpu as well as the square heatsink did get a bit warm. Don't know if that means anything. I'll have to shop around for ram.

Skimmed the whole manual. One troubleshooting step, following a no beep scenario (on account of no video iirc) is to remove all ram modules and power back on. Subsequently no beeps indicates a bad mobo. All other indicators seem to say mobo is ok. I guess that would mean cpu is bad, assuming mobo is ok.

But is it the cpu that makes the beeps. Iow onboard speaker will only sound if cpu is good (or very nearly good)? Manual talks about a diagnostic card, and gives a SM part #. I have an unused pci/isa card, but leary of plugging that cheap nonsense into a 200$ mobo.

What am I saying. This board doesn't even have
    a pci slot.
    Last edited by tipc; August 13th, 2019 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    MBD-X11SRM-F-O

I was perusing the manual myself last night but got tired. Imo this product isn't docyumented as well as say some intel server boards. It doesn't even specifically tell you what size p/s you need. I doubt the specific questions I asked will be answered in the manual.

Also not an exact match:

https://www.supermicro.com/support/r...es/results.cfm
    This is what the Manual says about selecting a Power Supply for that Motherboard. The last paragraph may be important.

1.6 Power Supply

As with all computer products, a stable power source is necessary for proper and reliable
    operation. It is even more important for processors that have high CPU clock rates where
    noisy power transmission is present.

The X11SRM-F/-VF motherboard accommodates a 24-pin ATX power supply. Although most
    power supplies generally meet the specifications required by the CPU, some are inadequate.
    In addition, one 12V 8-pin power connection is also required to ensure adequate power supply
    to the system.

Warning: To avoid damaging the power supply or the motherboard, be sure to use a
    power supply that contains a 24-pin and an 8-pin power connector. Be sure to connect
    the power supplies to the 24-pin power connector (JPW1), and the 8-pin power connector
    (JPWR2) on the motherboard. Failure in doing so may void the manufacturer
    warranty on your power supply and motherboard.

It is strongly recommended that you use a high quality power supply that meets ATX power
    supply Specification 2.02 or above. It must also be SSI compliant. (For more information,
    please refer to the website at http://www.ssiforum.org/).