Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What goes wrong the most on vintage computers? (Aside from capacitors)

Blog Entries

Run out of money.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Logic/IC failure
    = Excellent space heater

The two vintage computers I have, SOL-20 and IBM5155.

The SOL needed its keyboard pads replaced and a total of 10 faulty IC's (some belonging to the main board including RAM IC's, others to the S-100 cards). Not a single bad capacitor though. All the sockets/IC pins required extensive cleaning.

Likewise the IBM, no bad capacitors yet (including the switch-mode psu) but it hadn't had much use and only one faulty IC in the whole computer on the serial card and no bad RAM either. So the 5155 takes the cake for reliability.

It really goes to show just how reliable some computers can be. But as noted environmental problems, including the way they are treated, can have a big impact on their life and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Humidity and associated oxidation.
    I second that. Moisture has severely impaired and aged a lot of equipment. Shame most people think the garage is a good place for electronics.

Blog Entries

Other people think that the hay barn or chicken coop is a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I second that. Moisture has severely impaired and aged a lot of equipment. Shame most people think the garage is a good place for electronics.
    The thing is my garage is pretty dry most of the time. Basements are horrible. This summer and last August in particular were disgustingly humid here in NJ. I.was seemingly on the way to blowing up the crt in my.oscilloscope last year. The crt kept popping. I carefully dried the whole thing out and it was fine.

The thing is my garage is pretty dry most of the time. Basements are horrible.
    My basement is dry. My detached garage is not.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

The thing is my garage is pretty dry most of the time. Basements are horrible. This summer and last August in particular were disgustingly humid here in NJ. I.was seemingly on the way to blowing up the crt in my.oscilloscope last year. The crt kept popping. I carefully dried the whole thing out and it was fine.
    I get it, space is an issue. I have a TON of computers and parts. My main office is full. So I have lots in my crawlspaces. Which is either humid and hot or freezing cold. New acquisitions spend time in my garage or basement. Only soo much space. I would like to build a new shed or small building with drywall and insultation and use it as a sort of museum/shelving area to show off fully setup machines. I dont have space for that in the house, its pretty much just work/repair benches.
    I was really referring to the people whom I buy the computers from, who do have the space but tuck away the old machines to damn dark places. Which of course is still better than throwing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    My basement is dry. My detached garage is not.

Happen to have a loft above the detached garage? Sort of like what could be used as an inlaw apartment? That could be made ideal. We were looking for something like that when house shopping,. Just didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Happen to have a loft above the detached garage? Sort of like what could be used as an inlaw apartment? That could be made ideal
    It's more like a quasi attic above the garage. It's not high enough to really move around in. And I'm sure it's nearly as damp as the garage itself.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step