Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What goes wrong the most on vintage computers? (Aside from capacitors)

I have stored monitors and such outdoors . Through an entire winter! Of course they were double bagged. Thick contractor grace black bags. Zipped tied ot twisted into a knot. I would rebag them if they're out for more then a year. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE nothing alive or inanimate can tare holes in the bags. Humans are a real and present danger. "What's in here? Let me tare it open and have a looksy". And I don't mean tare wide open. ANY conduit for moisture to get in - it's all over. Bags are great for protection in many environments. But they also readily host moisture or even puddles.

What goes wrong all of the time with vintage computers? They become obsolete

As far as basements being damp or dry, it depends where you live I guess. Attics are thought to be a detriment to old computers. But someone once gave me a UNIX PC that sat in an attic for 30 years. The hd was flakey. But maybe it would have been anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I have stored monitors and such outdoors . Through an entire winter! Of course they were double bagged. Thick contractor grace black bags. Zipped tied ot twisted into a knot. I would rebag them if they're out for more then a year. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE nothing alive or inanimate can tare holes in the bags. Humans are a real and present danger. "What's in here? Let me tare it open and have a looksy". And I don't mean tare wide open. ANY conduit for moisture to get in - it's all over. Bags are great for protection in many environments. But they also readily host moisture or even puddles.

What goes wrong all of the time with vintage computers? They become obsolete
    Do you not have rodents or wildlife in Jersey? I have to keep traps in my weekend car just because the mice keep getting into it. Mice don't chew into your bags?

Sounds like you need some stray cats.

I said I have stored stuff outdoors, years ago. Clearly there are numerous varmints in nj. They don't seem to be interested in what's inside a thick plastic bag/s. I've had computers in poorly sealed sheds in bags that never were invaded, a scenario where I'd more expect rodents to rummage, raid, or cause compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Sounds like you need some stray cats.
    I live deep in the woods. And I'm highly allergic to cats. I don't mind all the bats, but I cant stand the cats!

Then Shawn Woods is your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Bags are great for protection in many environments.
    I think you are right about this. A while ago I came across a vintage avionics grade video/radar monitor the whole thing impressed me so much that I copied the entire schematic out by hand and wrote an article on it, I would not have done that for any old monitor:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/The_19...o_monitor..pdf

The monitor ( a mil spec machine) was wrapped in a very curious bag at the factory, a type of white fabric or paper like substance lined with aluminium foil. The outside of the bag was dirty & dusty but inside when I opened it everything looked perfect, without a single spot of corrosion. I think it was a special anti-corrosion bag.

If the thing was absolutely sealed from the elements, there's no reason for any corrosion. If you were sticking stuff in a bag though, it might be a good idea to blow some hot air into the bag via hair dryer or heat gun. Or leave the item in the sun or some other dry, hot environment for whatever length of time before sticking it in the bag.
    Last edited by tipc; August 15th, 2019 at 07:40 AM.

I don't know about that bag, but I have seen in a couple of computers where easily replaceable screws, backplates, and mounting hardware rusted first and almost everything else still looked fine. If one chose to, they could intentionally include parts or extra material that corrode easier than others to help protect everything else.