Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone do recap work? Need IBM floppy drive done

Default Anyone do recap work? Need IBM floppy drive done

I have a pair of IBM portables; a P70 and a 5545T (Japanese variant). Neither floppy drive worked as both have leaky SMT caps.

I tried my hand at doing one drive and it wasn't fun. Not much room to work on that board especially the ones near the spindle motor.

Not sure if I didn't do something right (there were several bad traces I had to repair) or if the drive has other issues.

I would like to have a pro do the other drive. Someone who has done these before.

Anyone on here do such work?69109126_10215713416052325_4009564348358852608_o.jpg68509752_10215713444853045_2763325058519662592_o.jpg

Don't you think it might help to know where you are located?

Your Profile conveniently holds that info so you don't have to mention it every time you post a message.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    I have a pair of IBM portables; a P70 and a 5545T (Japanese variant). Neither floppy drive worked as both have leaky SMT caps.

I tried my hand at doing one drive and it wasn't fun. Not much room to work on that board especially the ones near the spindle motor.

Not sure if I didn't do something right (there were several bad traces I had to repair) or if the drive has other issues.

I would like to have a pro do the other drive. Someone who has done these before.

Anyone on here do such work?69109126_10215713416052325_4009564348358852608_o.jpg68509752_10215713444853045_2763325058519662592_o.jpg
    Are you sure they are leaking? The second pic isnt that clear but i can see a brown substance pooled ouround various SMD caps / resistors etc. It could also be residual flux or in some cases I've seen boards where the components are varnished - a sort of potting, protection from humidity etc?

Rather than randomly replacing caps, get one of those cheap component testers off eBay such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264428088029

- you can attach some test prods to it and possibly test the caps in - circuit. Resistors can be tested similarly or with a multimeter. If the caps cant be tested in - circuit, these component testers usually have 3 pads on the PCB that act as test points for SMD caps/transistors etc. Try removing the worst of the caps you think is leaking and see if it IS actually faulty?

I do recap work on older logic boards and SMPS's - also socketed many ICs on ZX spectrum boards and the like for a number of people. I tend to do more through - hole stuff than SMD however. I'm guessing you are in the US? I am not

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Don't you think it might help to know where you are located?

Your Profile conveniently holds that info so you don't have to mention it every time you post a message.
    With the incredible invention of the postage system in 1775 we can actually send things anywhere in the world!

Sorry, honestly not sure why my location is relevant. I have no problem shipping this to Uganda is that's where the person may be.

Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    Are you sure they are leaking? The second pic isnt that clear but i can see a brown substance pooled ouround various SMD caps / resistors etc. It could also be residual flux or in some cases I've seen boards where the components are varnished - a sort of potting, protection from humidity etc?

Rather than randomly replacing caps, get one of those cheap component testers off eBay such as:

- you can attach some test prods to it and possibly test the caps in - circuit. Resistors can be tested similarly or with a multimeter. If the caps cant be tested in - circuit, these component testers usually have 3 pads on the PCB that act as test points for SMD caps/transistors etc. Try removing the worst of the caps you think is leaking and see if it IS actually faulty?

I do recap work on older logic boards and SMPS's - also socketed many ICs on ZX spectrum boards and the like for a number of people. I tend to do more through - hole stuff than SMD however. I'm guessing you are in the US? I am not
    That picture is AFTER the repair, as I said in the post. That is flux, yes, as well as covering for the replaced traces.

They were not randomly replaced; they were leaking as all IBM Alps drives do. It corroded the board.

As I mentioned, I'm looking for someone versed with these drives as it is a known repair.

Blog Entries

Rather than randomly replacing caps, get one of those cheap component testers off eBay
    So if I am not mistaken in order to test components, like capacitors, you'd need to remove them right? IMO if you are removing them, then you may as well replace them since they are well beyond their life span and there is little reason to put them back, even if they test ok, especially if they are a know fail point.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

With the incredible invention of the postage system in 1775 we can actually send things anywhere in the world!

Sorry, honestly not sure why my location is relevant. I have no problem shipping this to Uganda is that's where the person may be.
    I believe it's actually the Postal System.

So, you'll pay the postage in both directions, I guess.

What if there were a techie that lived within about 10 miles or so from you? Wouldn't that be a viable option for you?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I'm guessing you are in the US? I am not

Good luck getting anything from Hong Kong lately!

Blog Entries

I'll see if I can find a contact on Tristan da Cunha. Shipping may be a bit slow...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Good luck getting anything from Hong Kong lately!
    I prefer the USB rechargeable ones with color LCD. Still less that $15 shipped from Shenzhen. There may even be domestic resellers, such as Amazon.