Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone do recap work? Need IBM floppy drive done

I guess I was just hoping there would be someone known in the community that knows these blasted PS2 floppy drives in and out so I could receive back a perfect original drive to keep my system going.

Sorry for the snarky responses, I'm too used to Facebook groups and quick judgement/just google it replies.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    So if I am not mistaken in order to test components, like capacitors, you'd need to remove them right? IMO if you are removing them, then you may as well replace them since they are well beyond their life span and there is little reason to put them back, even if they test ok, especially if they are a know fail point.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I believe it's actually the Postal System.

So, you'll pay the postage in both directions, I guess.

What if there were a techie that lived within about 10 miles or so from you? Wouldn't that be a viable option for you?
    Ahh, I stand corrected. And yes, of course I'd expect to pay all postage costs. I've had many things fixed in the past from carburetors to controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    And yes, of course I'd expect to pay all postage costs.
    So a local repair wouldn't be of interest to you?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

If there was one, it'd be us. Our shop does all sorts of board-level repairs. Just don't have the expertise to align heads apparently heh.

I was thinking more along the lines of one of our members who might live near you but nobody has the slightest idea of where that might be.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    Rather than randomly replacing caps, get one of those cheap component testers off eBay such as:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/264428088029

That type of component tester is garbage, the screens usually fall off because they're designed to be in a case and not free floating like they're built. This type of tester:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222520569499

is far better because it's a self contained unit that's much less prone to damage from just handling it.

Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    you can attach some test prods to it and possibly test the caps in - circuit.
    Capacitors cannot be reliably tested in circuit with any test equipment because the parasitic drain of nearby components will throw off readings. You're also liable to damage the meter from residual voltage present in the circuit, capacitors should be drained before they're tested, ESPECIALLY on these cheap capacitor testers because they usually have the part directly connected to a microcontroller with no protection circuitry. Sending even a small voltage spike will damage them and cause them to fail.

Good luck getting anything from Hong Kong lately!
    Yeah, they've been having some nasty weather lately, been delaying shipments. Was it last week or the week before? they were slammed by two monster typhoons in a row.

Somewhere there's a joke about weather underground. But then, I still don't think it's quite kosher to joke about that stuff. In any case, the weather seems to be a lesser concern there, at the moment.

Don't you think it might help to know where you are located?

Your Profile conveniently holds that info so you don't have to mention it every time you post a message.
    I still think you should put that in your signature.

Originally Posted by Stone
    Good luck getting anything from Hong Kong lately!

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Yeah, they've been having some nasty weather lately, been delaying shipments. Was it last week or the week before? they were slammed by two monster typhoons in a row.
    I was thinking more along the lines that their airport has been closed for days due to protests.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I still think you should put that in your signature.
    Feel free to put it in yours. I haven't it.