Image Map Image Map
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Looking for an omnibus extender board

  1. #1

    Default Looking for an omnibus extender board

    I'm looking for an omnibus extension board or flexible top connectors. I want to get access to the component side of the middle board of a RK8E board set (M7105). Either I need to put two boards on extenders (have one) or I'll need top connectors with a flat cable in between the connectors (have two need four). I got two of the flexible top connectors from Jack R (if i remember correct).

    I have seen someone selling new extender boards somewhere. But I can't find them now.

    It would be possible to build new extension boards, the edge connectors can be hard to find, but I have quite some pieces of backplane connectors that should be possible to cut into pieces and use.

    Anyone that could sell me one?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anders_bzn View Post
    I'm looking for an omnibus extension board or flexible top connectors. I want to get access to the component side of the middle board of a RK8E board set (M7105). Either I need to put two boards on extenders (have one) or I'll need top connectors with a flat cable in between the connectors (have two need four). I got two of the flexible top connectors from Jack R (if i remember correct).

    I have seen someone selling new extender boards somewhere. But I can't find them now.

    It would be possible to build new extension boards, the edge connectors can be hard to find, but I have quite some pieces of backplane connectors that should be possible to cut into pieces and use.

    Anyone that could sell me one?
    I have built several of Jacks extenders. Not with the original DEC connector though but a more standard EDAC connector. The difference is that it is not tight fit so you could insert push on the connector offset by half a connector tongue. But if you are careful this isn't a problem. Just make sure to align it correctly. I can send you two on loan for quite some time. I have no use for them right now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK - Worcester
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    http://www.douglas.com/index.php/off...-extender.html

    You can purchase the extender cards with the appropriate connector fitted.

    Dave

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    I've used Douglas's DEC-type extenders in the past, they do work. Beware that the connector isn't as deep as a regular DEC backplane connector, or at least the last ones I ordered weren't. Depending on the board, this may let it sway a little if you're using a chassis with the backplane in the bottom.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattisLind View Post
    I have built several of Jacks extenders. Not with the original DEC connector though but a more standard EDAC connector. The difference is that it is not tight fit so you could insert push on the connector offset by half a connector tongue. But if you are careful this isn't a problem. Just make sure to align it correctly. I can send you two on loan for quite some time. I have no use for them right now.
    Yes please!


    Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    http://www.douglas.com/index.php/off...-extender.html

    You can purchase the extender cards with the appropriate connector fitted.

    Dave
    Yes, I have seen those before but couldn't find them Thanks! They are not to expensive. The problem is the freight charge, $82 to Sweden.


    Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I've used Douglas's DEC-type extenders in the past, they do work. Beware that the connector isn't as deep as a regular DEC backplane connector, or at least the last ones I ordered weren't. Depending on the board, this may let it sway a little if you're using a chassis with the backplane in the bottom.
    I'll use them with PDP8a, so this is relevant.

    I have looked into making PCB's and using my backplane connectors. The PCB's (5x) will be half the price compared to one board from Douglas... Is there anybody that have cut backplane connectors in pieces? Did it fail or succeeded?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    Well, Douglas's PCBs have actual hard gold plating for the edge connectors. That usually drastically increases the cost of a very small run of boards, so that's something to consider. Hard gold is far superior to ENIG or HASL finish, and is what you want -- especially on a board whose purpose is to help with troubleshooting.

  7. #7

    Default

    You are of course correct. And I do agree.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •