Image Map Image Map

Thread: Robocopy: Slowest copy utility ever?

Blog Entries

Default Robocopy: Slowest copy utility ever?

Is it me? I've tried every switch purported to help with this, but I find robocopy absolutely chokes on small files. It seems to take it hours to copy stuff that just copying via File Explorer does in about 1/4 of the time. I'm wondering if there's a reason?

If Explorer is that much faster why aren't you using it?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

You could try removing the /Z switch from a copy. The overhead in tracking the state of each file being transferred can result in extreme loss of performance.

For all transfers of large numbers of small files, I think compressing the lot and then uncompressing at the other side will result in a much faster transfer, even factoring in the time of compression.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    You could try removing the /Z switch from a copy.
    Exactly. If you notice while copying files it changes the date to January 1, 1980. After the copy finishes it changes the date to the correct date.

Blog Entries

The problem with File Explorer is it isn't always reliable (ie it'll just stop copying) and require intervention when problems like long file names, etc crop up. I find it easier and safer to use a command line utility like robocopy (or xxcopy, before the creator passed). It just seems like robocopy is horribly slow by comparison.

Zip the files and transfer just one file. That should fix the overheard issue with copying multiple files.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    Zip the files and transfer just one file. That should fix the overheard issue with copying multiple files.
    That will work only if you don't care about file security attributes or other such exotica.

My weapon of choice is rar (command-line) works fine, preserves file names and case and works under Linux, MacOS and Android as well.