Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloning an old hard drive

Default Cloning an old hard drive

My mom has an old Unisys 286 computer with a lot of data on it from my childhood. The computer still boots and works correctly and I want to make a copy of everything that's on it. However, my only way of getting data on/off the computer is with 1.2M floppy disks or possibly with a Gotek floppy emulator(if I take the computer apart). Are there any old DOS programs(similar to an installer) out there that allow you to bundle a set of files across multiple floppy disks?
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phones suck because they come through the internet.

Pkzip.

DOS has backup and restore. You could also use laplink (or fastlynx). I used ghost and an XT-IDE to backup a hard card from an old dead compaq, that I had installed in a 5160. Some versions of ghost support serial port images too.

Blog Entries

Why floppies? The Unisys box has a parallel printer port (and probably a serial port). Why not Laplink?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Why floppies? The Unisys box has a parallel printer port (and probably a serial port). Why not Laplink?
    I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to look into it. I've never used Laplink before.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phones suck because they come through the internet.

Blog Entries

Oldie but a goodie. MS came out with a clone with Interlink/Intersrvr, which may also work on your 286 system. I think it came out with MSDOS 5.

fastlynx is better, in my opinion, because you can use the DOS client on the old computer and send data to a windows client on the new machine.

Another idea: Would an XT-IDE be able to co-exist with the MFM controller? If so, I might be able to directly copy from one drive to another.

Yes, that's how I did it with ghost. MFM hardcard with an XT-IDE and a CF card. It worked fine. You could also just xcopy, but I wanted to see if ghost would work on something so old.

Yep, common use for XT-IDEs: copy the original onto whatever is hooked up to the XT-IDE, then remove the original and let the XT-IDE replace it.