Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cloning an old hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Yep, common use for XT-IDEs: copy the original onto whatever is hooked up to the XT-IDE, then remove the original and let the XT-IDE replace it.
    I tried this on my 5150 and the XT-IDE bios didn't work. The other drive is a Seagate ST238R with a ST11R controller. I tried changing the XT-IDE to D800, and still no luck. Any suggestions?

If you have, you also can use a parallel port ZIP drive, plus a USB ZIP drive to get the data in the new world. That's a way I often use.

Or, if you don't happen to have those two ZIP drives you can use a DOS based parallel port two machine network.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

See post #4. Of course, he'll need a cable, but I still have a number of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    See post #4. Of course, he'll need a cable, but I still have a number of those.
    Laplink is good but you still need to 'tag' all the files you want transfer.

With a small network you can issue a global copy command, i.e., XCOPY *.* /s.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Well, that's how the interlink/intersvr thing works--and it does work on a PC XT--and it's free. See post #6.

Another vote for Fastlynx. As long as you have a copy running on the new pc, you scan set the other pc to "listen" and push a copy of FX over to it.

There is also Norton Commander, which can both replicate itself over a serial connection and show both remote and local files and folders simultaneously.