Image Map Image Map

Thread: Dallas 1287 vs 12887

Default Dallas 1287 vs 12887

Fixing up a PS/2 model 35 today with a totally dead DS1287 clock. I found a replacement 12887 chip on ebay that has a replaceable battery but I'm not sure if it'll work. What are the differences, if any between the 1287 and the 12887 and will a 12887 work?

Hey there, it's probably mine you've found :P Many (most, in my experience) systems that came with a 1287 will work with a 12887. A handful won't, supposedly due to stricter timing requirements on the 12887 (I haven't investigated beyond reading what others have had to say). If you want something that will absolutely, positively work, the easiest thing to do is to stick with the 1287. I've got GW-1287-1 rebuild boards listed if you want to just refurb your own module, but I don't have prebuilt GW-1287-1 modules listed due to a lack of DS1287s to refurb. You can send in your dead module though and I'll rework it, though!

I just checked and that is actually your module! I think I would definitely like to send it down and get it rebuilt, how should I go about that?

I've sent you a PM, but for anyone else in the future wanting a module rebuilt, either PM me here, or even better, use the contact link on my website (linked in my signature).

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I've sent you a PM, but for anyone else in the future wanting a module rebuilt, either PM me here, or even better, use the contact link on my website (linked in my signature).
    Glitch,

Do you have anything in the works for a DS1497? Or will these work for the DS1497? The Compaq SystemPro uses a socketed DS1497 and at some point it needs to be replaced (if not already). TIA!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Do you have anything in the works for a DS1497? Or will these work for the DS1497? The Compaq SystemPro uses a socketed DS1497 and at some point it needs to be replaced (if not already). TIA!
    I don't have anything for the DS1497 yet, but I can put a prototype together this week!

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I don't have anything for the DS1497 yet, but I can put a prototype together this week!
    That would be awesome! Now I just have to get that pesky PSU working....
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    That would be awesome! Now I just have to get that pesky PSU working....
    Just ordered 3x prototypes from OSH Park! I don't have any DS1497s to work with, do you want just the repair module or do you want to send me your dead module to repair?