Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GW-DEC-1: A New Quad Height DEC Prototyping Board

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    There's significant expense in doing a run of, say, five of a board with actual hard gold plating. RetroHacker_ wants to build them up by hand, it's not that he can't use EDA tools, it's that he likes doing point to point projects Having a general purpose board helps more people, IMO. And, laying out new ones would take a lot more time!
    At jlcpcb.com a 8.43" * 10.436" five boards is 23.10USD, with chamfered edges and ENIG 44.60USD. Shipping depends on your country for CH its about 20USD. No I don't think individual boards are that expensive.

I understand there is a learning curve between point to point projects and making your own boards. I was at the same point before I started to make my own boards. But the result with individual boards is much more satisfying.

Sorry, ENIG is not a comparable or appropriate surface finish for card edges if you intend for the board to last. A layer of gold a few atoms thick won't stand up to a single insertion with high contact forces, and then you're left with nickel. "Extra heavy ENIG" as advertised by some cheap Chinese board shops is not actually a real thing -- ENIG works on ion swap, once the nickel layer is covered, no more swaps, no more plating.

It's not a question of being bad at laying out circuit boards, which seems to be what you're hinting at. It's a preference in making one-offs, and on valuing what we're doing with our time as hobbyists. Deciding what's "more satisfying" is entirely a personal opinion, too.