Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM Eduquest Forty Sound Blaster Emulation

Default IBM Eduquest Forty Sound Blaster Emulation

Just got my Eduquest upgraded with extra ram and a 100mhz Kingston Turbochip and I was looking to play some games on it. I was wondering if anyone knew if the original MWave card is able to do Sound Blaster emulation. My goal is to use it as a standalone unit, without any external speakers or peripherals if at all possible. Or if it can't do Sound Blaster emulation, maybe there is a way I can use a Sound Blaster and loop the output back in through the MWave card to get the sound out of the internal speaker.

Blog Entries

Could you please explain to us why on earth you would want to use an Mwave card specifically?
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Could you please explain to us why on earth you would want to use an Mwave card specifically?
    Because it's the stock card that has special headers for driving the internal speaker. Normally I just throw them out but if I want any sound at all through the speaker it has to stay

I do have a Sound Blaster 32 that would do the job, but since I want to use the internal speaker, is there a way to set the MWave card just as a passthrough so I can loop the output of the Sound Blaster back into the input on the MWave?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I do have a Sound Blaster 32 that would do the job, but since I want to use the internal speaker, is there a way to set the MWave card just as a passthrough so I can loop the output of the Sound Blaster back into the input on the MWave?
    If it's the AWE 32 Blaster, it sound have inputs for the CD & speaker. Check the upper right hand corner.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

The one I have is the CT3600, I'll have to see what kind of inputs it has, never really looked before

Blog Entries

My recollection of the eduquest mwave's sound blaster emulation is that it is not very good and not very compatible.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Looks like my CT3600 doesn't have the header for the internal speaker. Does anyone happen to have an isa sound blaster that does have the header for an internal speaker?

This is what the MWave card and the connectors look like inside the Eduquest.

20190817_073824.jpg

I'm not sure Im going to be able to find a replacement, which is why I'm thinking the best option might be to install a Sound Blaster normally and loop the output back in through the MWave and have the MWave set essentially just as a passthrough

The mwave worked fine under Windows 95 playing dos soundblaster games.
    And the midi I found more pleasant than normal

The issue I had was that the system could crash in duke 3d when a lot of sounds and actions were going on

So I guess why not test it out?