Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job hunting

Blog Entries

Default Job hunting

I finally got an interview with the hospitl I have been pulling guard for as a contract serviceman. Seems I will get the job, all indicators point to this. I swear, El Paso has got to have the worst frekkin economy I have ever seen. I have been trying to get this type of job for over a year. Admissions clerk, day or nighttime. 9.00/hr may not seem like much(currently $6.50/hr) but I have learned to live leanly, so that will do a lot. Including free up some time so I can work on my computer projects that my wife wants me to throw away the parts for (!). I have doggedly refused, since my hours are really screwy and when I am not working I have things to do like SLEEP and then deal with household stuff.

But that era is over. Once I start working this job I will have time and funds to complete the long list of stuff that I really need to get done. All I am really worried baout is if the current employer will give me the funds for the vacation time that I have incurred without working a full year. We'll see about that tomorrow(payday).

Blog Entries

Default Re: Job hunting

Quote Originally Posted by NathanAllan
    I finally got an interview

<major snippage>

We'll see about that tomorrow(payday).
    Good luck in your quest.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Blog Entries

This all keeps getting better and better. I did *not* get the second interview as I had hoped. So no new job. When I found out about it I figured, hey, I had a fair shot and life goes on. But then I went in to pick up my check, and my coworker tells me that my supervisor told both our boss that I "am not that great of a guard." Though I have not been written up or corrected in any big way. *Never* been written up in the eight months that I have been there. I have asked him several times how I was doing and if there are any problems, and he says no every time. That I am doing great.

I am not one to be kept down like this. Plus, that is illegal. Still mulling over what that sounds like, but it ain't good. Funny I have been there the longest and have never been written up. But I am not that great of a guard.

I am really sorry to hear about these things Nathan.

Stay strong man

Chris
    The vic rocks!

Default Re: Job hunting

Are the times tough down there in Texas, Nathan?

All the Best,
    CP/M User.

"NathanAllan" wrote:

> This all keeps getting better and better. I
    > did *not* get the second interview as I
    > had hoped. So no new job.

Oh well bad luck. I'm in a situtation where I've
    got job interviews, forms to hand in & a car
    that's playing up on me (due to lots of travelling
    I guess). And now I've got 2 jobs for the asking
    one of them I hear has this guy who likes to
    trial run people, but with all the other problems
    I've got, I may have to give it a miss. :-(

Cheers,
    CP/M User.

{I swear, El Paso has got to have the worst frekkin economy I have ever seen.}

I always liked El Paso, but the economy always seemed kind of depressed. The last time I visited was in 1994.

I think about bitching about my job and the 60 hours weeks I seem to put in on a regular basis, but then I read a post on one forum or another that makes me appreciate my position. My boss pretty much lets me do what ever I want as long as the customer gets taken care of first, the datacenter is my territory and I have all the cool toys I want to play with - and she pays for them.

Nathan, Good Luck in your search and I hope you find something soon.

Blog Entries

I confronted my boss and things seem to be okay now. But just for now. There is an opening for part time and floating PBX operator which for two days worth of work, pays about fifty bucks less than what I am doing now. I've applied in teh past before for full time, but not part. At that rate I am gonna go for it and make up the difference >gasp!< fixing people's old computers during the week. I used to run a small shop, called it Nate's Obsolete PC Fix-It. My slogan was "I do IT with old computers!" The only unhappy customer I had was once I had to wait almost a month for his modem to come in. That was the sellers fault, since I paid for faster shipping and he sent it FREIGHT. It's all good now.

Also if I get that PBX job I can a)go to school like I have wanted to but not live in a box while I do it, b) help my wife finally get her bed bath and beauty business back on track, c) fix our frekkin broke cars, d) fix our frekkin broke computers, and finally e) finish building the furniture and walls that I have neglected working in this job for low pay and much time. I jsut hope that I am not discriminated against caus eso far all they have hired for PBX is women. Chin up, right

great slogan for the shop you had!

Chris
    The vic rocks!

If you want to rename your shop, how about: "Nathan's Old Computer Testing, Updating, Repairing, Nurturing And Lecturing" where you both take care and teach people how they should continue living a happy life with their machine?

Hmm.. nocturnal is someone or something happening during the night, which seems strikingly well fit computer users, at least those without a family and/or day job to take into consideration.
    Anders Carlsson