Image Map Image Map

Thread: HP Apollo 735 Me2 Login

Default HP Apollo 735 Me2 Login

Hi I recently got my family businesses HP 735 running but the password has been lost, I was wondering is there is a way to get around it or crack the password? I dont want to reset the computer and lose all of the files and the m30 software.

If you can mount the file system, you can reset the password manually (it is in /etc/shadow or /etc/passwd). That requires getting the hard drive to work in another system or to boot the machine from a separate medium (installer). You need either read access (to retrieve the password in order to decrypt it on another machine) or read/write access (to reset it).

It might be possible to boot the machine in single-user mode, but that often requires the root password, so it won't help you. I am sure that sending EOF at the "login:" prompt won't get you into the machine. On Linux, you can add "init=/bin/sh" to the command line to drop directly into a root-shell after booting, I don't know if HP/UX has a similar function.

If the HP 735 is running HP-UX you should be able to boot into single-use mode by interrupting the initial power up sequence at the firmware prompt, and then doing this:

boot pri isl

and then at the ISL prompt:

ISL> hpux -iS /stand/vmunix