Image Map Image Map

Thread: Compaq MSG archive?

Default Compaq MSG archive?

Hi and thank You for answering in advance.
    Is there something like Compaq MSG archive, or user guide(for Compaq 164560-001 system boards) archives?

I am trying to replace a CMOS battery to external, but it is undocumented on computer and there is a site with info :
    "Clock/Battery * (4.5 V, 600 mA) 160274-001
    * When installing this clock battery spare kit, original battery must be disabled. See MSG or User Guide. "
    http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/qrg/volume1/prolenh.html

What is MSG and is there a copy of it somewhere in the Internet? Is it just an e-mail that You got with original battery, or something similar to BBS/forum that Compaq had. Are there any copies of it?

Blog Entries

MSG = Maintenance and Service Guide Compaq-speak for what IBM called Technical References

Many of these are still available within the HP website but an outside search engine is needed to actually find any. There are also copies on other websites for older Compaqs that may not be archived by HP. My search turns up two Prolinea Family PDF files on third party web sites. Maybe https://arvutimuuseum.ee/co0031/ could help.

I actually have a few of the old Compaq Support Reference Library and Illustrated Parts Guide CD sets from back in the day when I was a Compaq certified repair tech. Problem is they are a pain to navigate, especially these days when they won't run on a modern 64-bit OS. I'm currently accessing them via Windows 7 XP mode...though something has gotten goofed up and I can't get it to run now...trying to pull the info you're looking for. Probably time to toss the VM instance and re-install it. Anyway...I would be happy to share them if it is acceptable to do so...but not sure...don't care for HP's lawyers to get unhappy! Though I can't imagine why they would care about 20-year old tech reference libraries...

Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by pgru2 View Post
    Hi and thank You for answering in advance.
    Is there something like Compaq MSG archive, or user guide(for Compaq 164560-001 system boards) archives?

I am trying to replace a CMOS battery to external, but it is undocumented on computer and there is a site with info :
    "Clock/Battery * (4.5 V, 600 mA) 160274-001
    * When installing this clock battery spare kit, original battery must be disabled. See MSG or User Guide. "
    http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/qrg/volume1/prolenh.html

What is MSG and is there a copy of it somewhere in the Internet? Is it just an e-mail that You got with original battery, or something similar to BBS/forum that Compaq had. Are there any copies of it?
    Re. your specific point, there should be a jumper next to the original coin cell which switches CMOS power over to the external battery.