Image Map Image Map

Thread: Anyone here own an HP Pavilion 17-e049wm laptop? I'm trying to get Windows 7 drivers.

Default Anyone here own an HP Pavilion 17-e049wm laptop? I'm trying to get Windows 7 drivers.

I thought I'd ask just in case. The HP community site is down currently, with a 502 Gateway error. My laptop came with Windows 8.0, but I really want Windows 7 on it. I currently have installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on it and all I need now is drivers. Multiple people online have gotten Windows 7 working on this exact laptop model, but that was years ago and the links on the forums are dead. Really appreciate it if you guys can help me. I'm hoping to get this laptop all nice and fixed up by Thursday as a gift to my best friend.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...m/td-p/3849150

Any particular reason you want to go back to Windows 7? It only has 4-5 months of extended support left, which isn't great if said person getting the laptop isn't tech savvy enough to understand what that means.

I'd throw Windows 10 on it and call it a day. I've done similar back ports of Windows 8 laptops to Windows 7 and it's a giant pain. You usually have to make a custom Windows 7 install media with the USB and disk controller drivers to avoid a BSOD in the installer, and the resulting install is usually very temperamental. One thing going wrong can hose the install and you have to do the process all over again.

XP works great years after it's end of support date. I'm typing this on XP right now. Windows 7 will have paid extended support until 2023 for the Enterprise and Pro versions, but in my experience, as long as an up to date antivirus and internet browser still run on the system, it's still good for the casual user. There's proof of that, and there's a valid reason for 3rd party apps to still support 7, seeing they'll be upcoming paid MS support soon. I used XP as one of my main daily drivers until 2017. Plus Windows 7 is good for running the older game he can't run on Windows 8.1. (It's called The Movies by Lionhead Studios) You don't need to worry about Windows updates either.

I don't have the heart to put Windows 10 on any computer I give away or sell because It's morally wrong to compromise someone elses security and privacy, despite the old or unsupported OS's, which are an exception because they can be someone's only choice if they still want to use Windows from here on out. If not Windows 7 or 8.1, I install Linux for my friends and customers who want a PC to use on the internet.

Windows 7 installed perfectly once I enabled legacy support and disabled secure boot in the BIOS. I don't know why you had problems with downgrading, GiGaBiTe. Updating to SP1 afterwords was no issue for me either.
    Last edited by computerdude92; August 19th, 2019 at 09:20 PM.

Ok, so the HP site is back to running again but I still welcome any new feedback here as well.

Having an antivirus program and a modern web browser is not going to protect against OS exploits. Giving such a system to another person, especially if they're not tech savvy and telling them that it's OK is just wrong.

Windows XP is not an OS you want to put on the internet. I have clients that did such things against my warnings not to do so and the systems were rooted and owned within an hour of going online, being added to a zombie botnet like clockwork. There are scanners running on the open internet 24/7/365 looking for such systems and they will find them, it just takes time. Even a fully patched Windows XP system is not safe. I refuse to deploy new XP systems or service existing XP systems unless the owner of said systems signs a contract acknowledging the imminent danger of such and absolving myself of all responsibility when something does go wrong, because it will.

Windows 7 has known exploits that will accomplish the same goal, but luckily most are patched for now, assuming you keep your systems patched. There is just just a few more months of patches if new exploits are found, but after that, Windows 7 is destined to the same fate as XP and all prior Microsoft OSes. It's not a good idea to deploy new Windows 7 installs, and it's getting impossible to do it without using old hardware since Microsoft strong-armed both Intel and AMD to stop releasing drivers that work with Windows 7. There are of course hacked 3rd party drivers out there made by the community, but YMMV if they work or not. And don't expect to get any support for them if they don't work right.

Thank you, but I have never experienced any issue in all these years.

What is this zombie botnet and how does it infect these online XP and 7 systems? How well would Windows updates help? Would you even know that you are infected? What can happen to your system? Are there any sort of firewalls, online encrypted connection, (or whatever tech word) that will stop botnets from taking control of your system? Can an updated antivirus installed on these old OS's detect the botnets?

Skimming through these articles I don't see a problem with them as long as my system still works good with no problems. I wouldn't care if my computer is being used in a zombie army for whatever reason.

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/resour...ts-and-zombies

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2006/1...ntion-botnets/
    Last edited by computerdude92; August 21st, 2019 at 12:11 AM.

This old Dell Latitude D600 i'm using now ran really slow when I installed it with XP SP3 a few days ago, but now it runs like a charm online. Hmm, it could've been a botnet coming to borrow some of my PC power... Luckily i'm a really patient guy..

Don't worry about me, I'm only going to use Windows as long as it is usable on the net. (with antivirus of course) After that it's all Linux for me. People can update their own security in the meantime.
    Last edited by computerdude92; August 21st, 2019 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Thank you, but I have never experienced any issue in all these years.

What is this zombie botnet and how does it infect these online XP and 7 systems? How well would Windows updates help? Would you even know that you are infected? What can happen to your system? Are there any sort of firewalls, online encrypted connection, (or whatever tech word) that will stop botnets from taking control of your system? Can an updated antivirus installed on these old OS's detect the botnets?
    There are vulnerabilities in the OS itself, firewalls, VPNs, antiviruses, whatever aren't going to fix these. The best thing to do if you need to run an XP machine is to have it offline.

When a machine is hacked and owned by an attacker to turn into a zombie, they most often do it in the most inconspicuous way possible because they don't want to alert the user their machine is infected. You have to actively look for signs the machine is infected, like unusual disk activity, excessive network activity or excessive CPU/RAM usage. My clients that had Windows XP boxes used these machines without displays attached to them, so the only way they knew their boxes were owned is they got a letter from their ISP threatening legal action because something on their network was actively participating in a denial of service attack against some high profile website and the ISP was told to make it stop or face legal action.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Skimming through these articles I don't see a problem with them as long as my system still works good with no problems. I wouldn't care if my computer is being used in a zombie army for whatever reason.

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/resour...ts-and-zombies

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2006/1...ntion-botnets/
    So you don't care that you'd knowingly be actively participating in illegal activity that can potentially get you taken to court and sued over? Man, that's some ignorance. Stop building machines for people, seriously.