Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pcw9512

Default Pcw9512

Just sat ready to pickup a PCW9512, a daisywheel printer and a dot matrix printer off ebay.

Couldn't refuse for 3.80

Intersting little machine, Z80 and CPM i believe. Amstrad thought they had a nich market I suppose.

Anyone got an OS ?, I think this model has the 3.5 disk so that should make it easier.

Just need to hide it from the wife

Ah, its not a + so its a 3" drive

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Ah, its not a + so its a 3" drive
    Yeah, and working disks are going to be a challenge. After months of waiting for a new belt for the drive (the one you got will likely be disintegrated too, as apparently is the norm), I got some disks sent to me from someone who used to have an amstrad and the disks still didn't boot. I broke down and installed a Gotek which will require a few cable mods and a new 3d printed holder for it. There is also a perifractic video where he just ordered this replacement gotek kit that someone makes. But yeah, i wouldn't spend much time on the legacy 3" drive, it's more trouble then its worth in the long run. It's a nice system though, I kinda like it, and there is even an updated GUI OS that works on it.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

If you insist on spinning rust, you can fit a 3.5" half-height 720K drive there. Just be sure it has a READY signal on pin 34 if you want to make it easy on yourself.

One thing I can't emphasize enough--whether or not you use a Gotek or a real floppy, note that the positions of the +5 and +12 supply lines are reversed from "normal" on the power connector. Ignore that and you'll let the magic smoke out of your drive--I made that mistake and smoked a perfectly good Teac FD235F.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    If you insist on spinning rust, you can fit a 3.5" half-height 720K drive there. Just be sure it has a READY signal on pin 34 if you want to make it easy on yourself.

One thing I can't emphasize enough--whether or not you use a Gotek or a real floppy, note that the positions of the +5 and +12 supply lines are reversed from "normal" on the power connector. Ignore that and you'll let the magic smoke out of your drive--I made that mistake and smoked a perfectly good Teac FD235F.
    I'm not sure how you put a 3.5" drive in it. The cutout is different and the 3.5" is wider and shorter (or taller and thinner if you're looking at it as it sits in the amstrad), so i'm not clear how that would work unless you pushed it back some, but it would look kinda ghetto even if you did that? Anyway, yeah, I moved the 3" to drive b and replaced drive A with a gotek, so I could read disks if I needed to but otherwise the gotek has pretty much every program i could find for the amstrad pcw on it.

When I fixed the power cable on mine, i just removed the 12v completely from the equation.. that way if someone in the future accidently swaps it, at least it'd only put 5v on the 12v line but not 12v on the 5v... since the gotek doesn't need 12v anyway.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

If you can find one, a half-height (not third-height) floppy fits the cutout with a minimum of case-mangling and no open gaps. They're uncommon, but they do exist--I have a pair of NEC 720K drives here as well as a Teac FD235HF in that form factor.

Back in the day, 3.5" expansion kits for PCWs came with a file to widen the hole in the case, and a self-adhesive bezel to cover the open gap. This worked better on the 9512 (where the drive was flush) than on the 8000-series PCWs (where the drive was recessed).

Blog Entries

Yeah, I knew there were conversion kits available when I started to receive 3.5" disks from PCW owners. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad had the the original CF2 drives not been rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    If you can find one, a half-height (not third-height) floppy fits the cutout with a minimum of case-mangling and no open gaps. They're uncommon, but they do exist--I have a pair of NEC 720K drives here as well as a Teac FD235HF in that form factor.
    Ahh, interesting. I'm not sure I've seen those. Though, at this point, I'm not sure I'd bother. Unless someone makes a new run off floppies (unlikely), hunting down those drives, or worse, physically altering the machine to support regular 3 1/2 disks that already are running into reliability and scarcity issues, probably doesn't make sense in this specific machine.
    -- Brian

Blog Entries

Well, a 3.25" drive probably would fit also.