Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pcw9512

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Well, a 3.25" drive probably would fit also.
    Yeah, without some special drive, you have to physically alter the case with the 'file' from that kit, which I wouldn't do at this stage since you're basically damaging the case to just let you use physical disks for a couple more years. It made sense back in the day, but not really anymore.

found on internet from someone who added a 3 1/2:

my amstrad with the gotek in Drive A, and the original in B:

IMG_20190820_113858.jpg
    Last edited by ngtwolf; August 20th, 2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added images
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

lots to think about.

Not sure it even works yet !

What is the startup I would expect without a disk ? Just gives a white screen at the moment and the drive light comes on.

Blog Entries

I have the same dilemma, and cutting the case seems hard just use a long floppy cable you can get it in the space between the case and the printer connector, and use it as an external drive.

Also i done another mod i have an extra motherboard an installed into a case and do a small circuit for composite output will take less space.
    JonB sells an ide kit that is awsome for cp/m

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    lots to think about.

Not sure it even works yet !

What is the startup I would expect without a disk ? Just gives a white screen at the moment and the drive light comes on.
    You basically get nothing, just a fully bright screen. it doesn't do anything at all without a disk, which was confusing to me as well.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

Not so confusing if you consider that, IIRC, the small bootstrap is actually part of the printer controller IC. You won't find any EPROMs on that thing. Text is constructed by software, so it can't even display a message before booting a working system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Not so confusing if you consider that, IIRC, the small bootstrap is actually part of the printer controller IC. You won't find any EPROMs on that thing. Text is constructed by software, so it can't even display a message before booting a working system.

Oh, I read that info. It certainly was built to meet a very specific brief.

Blog Entries

That's what prompted me to get rid of my PCW. You can't even plug a garden-variety parallel or serial printer into it without a special adapter. The big attraction for me was the 512KB memory capacity and the pure graphics interface.

My own PCW was a 120V model sold by Sears in the USA. But it's pretty clear that it was intended solely as a word processor and its rarity on this side of the Atlantic caused me to lose interest.

Blog Entries

I can send you a 9512 CP/M boot disk when you have sorted the drive belt out. PM me your details and I'll get one in the post.

In addition to getting a 3" drive working, you can quite easily fit a Gotek drive to make life a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by zippysticks View Post
    I can send you a 9512 CP/M boot disk when you have sorted the drive belt out. PM me your details and I'll get one in the post.

In addition to getting a 3" drive working, you can quite easily fit a Gotek drive to make life a little easier.

Just got the lid off. That drive is really buried in there isn't it !

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post

Just got the lid off. That drive is really buried in there isn't it !
    Yeah, I actually had completely disassembled mine at one point so I could clean the case and insides and remove the second bay cover and it was quite a pain.. Lots of parts and everything was really packed in there. Tiny hands help.
    -- Brian