Image Map Image Map

Thread: Are there any apps that let you use your cell phone as a modem?

Default Are there any apps that let you use your cell phone as a modem?

In conjunction with a usb to serial adapter?

Maybe you could use an acoustic coupler with one of these?

513PTAeaByL._SL1200_.jpg

Many years ago i used an old mobile / cell phone as a modem, It was dog slow but it worked, IIRC i had to change a setting in the phones setup and my computer recognised it as a modem, It was connected via USB though.

That seems to depend on the quality of the handset. I've seen it work, but mine is sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle! View Post
    In conjunction with a usb to serial adapter?
    Certainly. But do any phones that run PalmOS (HP WebOS) work on any modern cell networks?

Blog Entries

The last phone I owned and could use as a modem (via serial or PCMCIA up to 9600bps) was a Motorola Timeport that I had to retire when CDMA was shutdown in 2014.
    I have not seen a smartphone that could operate as a serial terminal with a USB dongle in years. I've never seen anything remotely close to an app that bridged 3G/LTE/whatever data into an emulated modem. The closest was a smartphone running in hotspot mode and a Wifi-232.
    = Excellent space heater

There are several projects (including some by forum members) that add an ESP8266 to a D-sub connector to create a modem emulator over WiFi. You could pair that with a hotspot running on your phone. All add functionality to the ESP8266 to speak Hayes AT command set. Some use a dialed number to IPort alias table. Some allow you to ATDT<ip>:<port> directly.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me