Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Seagate ST-4038 MFM hard Drive Ressurection or Burial?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Burnley, UK
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have a Western Digital diagnostic program that might reveal the issue here. I'm not positive if you actually need a WD controller (which the OP does have) to avail yourself of its usefulness. It claims to be able to indicate a possible track zero problem. I also have one or two LLF programs specifically for WD controllers.
    ATM ive been using a seagate tool to low level format the drive. It gets all the way to the end if the format but with 'drive format recal error' all the way. The seagate tool also has a format/verify function. If you say yes to the intensive pattern test option, it gets to about sector 30 and stops, reporting 'too many errors

    The graphical representation of the drive platters shows lots of red blocks on the lower platter underside. The surfaces of the other platters are mostly clear of bad blocks.

    Is track 0 likely located on on the lower of the 3 platters?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Burnley, UK
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Sometimes you waste far to much time trying to sort out old drives. I know I have but not any more. better of with a xt-ide setup in the long run.
    The reason for this entire mfm setup is to see if the drive is functional. The pentium PC is just a test bed. If I get the drive working, it is destined for an S100 box with TurboDOS installed on it - hence why I can't go for a modern replacement like XTIDE. A very generous VCFED member recently sent me the S100 Winchester boards for my IMS 8000, so I hope to have it running with TurboDOS eventually.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Burnley, UK
    Posts
    283

    Default

    The fact that the format/very option stops at sector 30 and at that point the head stepping noise starts making 'stressed' noises, like it is sticking, makes me wonder if the head is getting stuck on some dried up grease or something. When running just the LLF however, it does complete, and sound like it has stepped the full travel of the disk. I also wonder if as another poster mentioned, the drive has a track 0 sensor error? Is that what 'drive recal error' means?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    3,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    ATM ive been using a seagate tool to low level format the drive. It gets all the way to the end if the format but with 'drive format recal error' all the way. The seagate tool also has a format/verify function. If you say yes to the intensive pattern test option, it gets to about sector 30 and stops, reporting 'too many errors

    The graphical representation of the drive platters shows lots of red blocks on the lower platter underside. The surfaces of the other platters are mostly clear of bad blocks.

    Is track 0 likely located on on the lower of the 3 platters?
    It depends on the order it is displaying it. SpeedStor would give you a textual list of bad tracks so you could see if it is just one head.

    You could try reducing the number of heads in the BIOS parameters and seeing if that formats.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Burnley, UK
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    It depends on the order it is displaying it. SpeedStor would give you a textual list of bad tracks so you could see if it is just one head.

    You could try reducing the number of heads in the BIOS parameters and seeing if that formats.
    Didn't know you could do that - so just choose a different drive type or use the same parameters with one less head?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Burnley, UK
    Posts
    283

    Default

    All the errors are related to head 0 according to the segtfmt4 verify utility - which is the one on the underside of the lower platter, where the red blocks are depicted.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    The reason for this entire mfm setup is to see if the drive is functional. The pentium PC is just a test bed.
    The Pentium may not be 100% compatible with that MFM controller, i.e., it may be a tad too fast. I can't remember with full certainty but I remember having some issues with 16-bit controllers/MFM drives with a 133mHz CPU.

    Does that board have any PCI slots?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Burnley, UK
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    The Pentium may not be 100% compatible with that MFM controller, i.e., it may be a tad too fast. I can't remember with full certainty but I remember having some issues with 16-bit controllers/MFM drives with a 133mHz CPU.

    Does that board have any PCI slots?
    Yes, it has three ISA and maybe 4 PCI slots. The only older PC I have is a Compaq portable III - 286. I have the expansion unit with 2 ISA slots, it's more hassle to disable the onboard IDE and floppy controllers however.

  9. #29

    Default

    Here's a good read for you:

    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...more-modern-PC

    You're going to be way better off with an older test bed.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,061
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    The reason for this entire mfm setup is to see if the drive is functional. The pentium PC is just a test bed. If I get the drive working, it is destined for an S100 box with TurboDOS installed on it - hence why I can't go for a modern replacement like XTIDE. A very generous VCFED member recently sent me the S100 Winchester boards for my IMS 8000, so I hope to have it running with TurboDOS eventually.
    S100 IDE controllers do exist. http://s100computers.com/My%20System...IDE%20Card.htm
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •