Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Seagate ST-4038 MFM hard Drive Ressurection or Burial?

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    I've had a look at what's available on the S100computers site. It's certainly a possibility, buying their IDE board and building a working unit though. It would be C/PM only though and my coding skills are near zero for any drivers that may be required.

Reason I like TurboDOS is because it's interesting, rare, plus a bit more intuitive in use from what I've read of the various user manuals.
    Also - I have the TD hardware and software specific to my Industrial Micro Systems box, just need a working MFM drive.

IMS International ( started out as Industrial Micro Systems) were among the greater proponents of TurboDOS - a lot of their S100 boards and boot ROM code were built specifically for TD.

I've always liked the idea of having a big daft old S100 machine that was cutting edge in Its day, running off a hard drive instead of floppies. I have 2 systems with 8" floppy drives, one with 5.25 full height drives and my Compaq portable with a 1GB IDE and 1.44mb floppy.

TurboDOS would be compatible with a lot of the CP/M software I have too. Perhaps I'd have the best of both worlds, a CP/M compatible machine with hard drive and floppies - now if I could just get it on the 'net with one of those Wifi to Serial adapters!
    Last edited by alan8086; August 22nd, 2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Here's a good read for you:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...more-modern-PC

You're going to be way better off with an older test bed.
    Thanks for the link - just read it through!