Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 98se Protection Error

It's a geforce MX200

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    It's a geforce MX200
    Have you seen these: http://www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/369/

You may have a piece of a left over something or another hanging in the registry. Give this ancient version of CCleaner a try: http://www.oldapps.com/ccleaner.php%3Fsystem=Windows_98

This site looks okay but you never know so be careful.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Have you seen these: http://www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/369/

You may have a piece of a left over something or another hanging in the registry. Give this ancient version of CCleaner a try: http://www.oldapps.com/ccleaner.php%3Fsystem=Windows_98

This site looks okay but you never know so be careful.
    I'll give that a shot, never heard of that before

CCleaner on a freshly installed version of Windows is not particularly useful.

Again, if your driver leads to system crashes, try a different driver or a different version. Graphics drivers of that era are notoriously badly written (the vendor driver quality, especially for graphics cards, was the main driver for Microsoft to start driver certification - which vendors then worked around as much as possible).

Also, don't discount the idea that the graphics card may be faulty (it is quite old). In pure VGA mode, most of the cards' functionality is disabled, so power supply or capacitor problems might not appear until the proper driver is loaded. The same applies to the motherboard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Svenska View Post
    CCleaner on a freshly installed version of Windows is not particularly useful.
    Normally that would be true. But here the OP is loading drivers, some of which may be suspect. CCleaner is just one way of clearing the registry of left overs whether it's a new install or not. Also, I would begin to suspect the video card and might opt for a different one just for a check and see.

Normally that would be true. But here the OP is loading drivers, some of which may be suspect. CCleaner is just one way of clearing the registry of left overs whether it's a new install or not. Also, I would begin to suspect the video card and might opt for a different one just for a check and see.
    I think I'm just going to swap in another video card for good, I dug out a much better ATI one that did work fine with the drivers I had

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I think I'm just going to swap in another video card for good, I dug out a much better ATI one that did work fine with the drivers I had
    Let us know how it works out.

Let us know how it works out.
    I swapped in a Radeon 9250 and the drivers loaded perfectly the first time, no issues whatsoever. I seem to recall having a similar issue in the past (maybe the same card?) and did the same thing. Maybe I'll just get rid of that MX200. Not a great card anyway.