Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98se Protection Error

Default Windows 98se Protection Error

I just replaced the video card (geforce MX200) in a Pentium 2 tweener because the old one died, and I'm getting a Windows Protection Error when I restart it to install the new drivers. I can boot in safe mode so I'm sure it's a driver issue but I'm not sure where to go from here. I had an ATI card installed before and I went into the device manager and removed those devices from the list, but that changed nothing.

How much RAM does that card have on it? Win9x doesn't like hojillibytes of ram, but I would think an MX200 would not have that much. Is that AGP? You might need to check your BIOS and adjust AGP aperture and other related settings.

Were you able to get it to boot "normally" (not safe mode) with plain old VGA? If not, it might be some other resource conflict.

It's a 32mb card and actually pci. It worked and booted fine with the generic vga drivers before

Does that motherboard have onboard video?

Do you have another VGA card to try?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

It's an AT mothervoard so no onboard video. I had a 4mb ATI Rage 2 installed before and it was working fine but I went from a P1 to a P2 and wanted to upgrade the video card accordingly.

If you went from a Pentium to a Pentium 2, I'm assuming it's a different motherboard now too? That's a pretty big detail, although with win 98 it shouldn't be as much of a problem as with NT type operating systems. What chipset is the old board and the new board? If they are intel, you might need to install the inf installer to make everything happy again.

7. Default

There was a bug in early windows 95, which might extend to early win98 - it was unable to boot if the clock was more than about 350MHz, due to an internal divide-by-zero error.

You could (at the time) download a fix from microsoft.

In my experience, changing motherboards would always necessitate a complete reinstall - win95 in particular was totally hopeless at handling large-scale hardware changes.

Fresh install of Windows and same error when I try to install the drivers. I'm running a 233mhz P2 with about 256mb ram so I don't think it's going to be that bug

Try different drivers?

Blog Entries

Did I miss it? What the name and model number of the problematic video card?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting