Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fake ICs

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Could it be there are old counterfit chips that were made back in the day and not sold that are showing up now? I figured most of the old chips showing up from china are just scavenged off of old equipment and cleaned up. You would be surprised how much effort they go into making a few cents in some poor areas of China.
    I just checked my mailbox and I seem to have recieved 10 NE555s for absolutely no reason at all, and I don't know which order got screwed up since I'm waiting on several orders, none of which were for 10 chips and none of which were NE555s. As the old axiom goes, never ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

Which does bring to mind the awful thought that they're finding old rare chips and inadvertently frying them.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    The other thing you kind of wonder about is motive... these chips only cost me about $60. Hardly seems worth the effort to fake for an obscure chip few people will need or use. If it was a ceramic 6502 or something I could see much more incentive to fake there.
    * Companies in China (or wherever) get paid to take the western world's eWaste
    * Gov't in whatever country pays them to not just set it on fire or put it in a hole or river
    * Gov't in whatever country heavily subsidizes export shipments (ePacket, etc.)
    * You actually pay something for the ICs when you buy them

It's a weird system.