Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory managers not working

Default Memory managers not working

I'm trying to install drivers for a Sound Blaster 16 and I'm getting an error saying there isn't enough conventional memory, so I'm attempting to install a memory manager to try and have the programs loaded into high memory. The problem I'm encountering with this is that no matter what program I try, it doesn't work. I'm not a fan of 386max at all so I've switched to QEMM but it has the same issue. No matter what I try the computer freezes on startup as soon as "share is installed".

Blog Entries

How much conventional memory do you have after loading? Note that some programs complain if there is too much free memory because of poor coding.

Why are you loading share?

Blog Entries

What version of Dos are you using. Share was used in PC/MS Dos 4.x for larger hard disk access.. System specs and Dos version would be handy as well.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; August 22nd, 2019 at 12:30 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

From DOS 5 and up you can use loadhi and emm386.exe to do all that without anything else.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I'm using PC-DOS 6.3, I'm not sure what share is doing but it was in the autoexec when I got the computer. It's a 486 (100mhz Kingston Turbochip), 20mb ram total with 640k conventional. After loading I have 462k conventional remaining. Creative's install disks for the SOund Blaster 16 seem to be notorious memory hogs from what I've read. I managed to pull the hard drive and install the PNP software using another computer but the actual drivers are proving to be more difficult.
    Last edited by RadRacer203; August 22nd, 2019 at 12:56 PM.

The bigger question is, what else are you loading at startup? Some programs may not be compatible with loading high.

But yea, if you aren't doing much picky DOS stuff, EMM386 is what you need. That was Microsoft's standard, and is what most programs were tested against.

Blog Entries

462k seems quite low. I would expect in excess of 600k if DOS is loaded high and only minimal drivers are loaded. Disk compression and SHARE wouldn't account for all the memory in use.

Could you post AUTOEXEC and CONFIG.SYS?

I can't easily get a text file off of this computer at the moment but here is a picture of my autoexec and config files

20190822_170424.jpg20190822_170409.jpg

how about showing mem /c

It looks like a lot of stuff in your config.sys could use devicehigh instead of device.

Does PC-DOS have something similar to memmaker? I always used MS-DOS in the later days.

Here's a picture of mem /c
    20190822_171849.jpg