Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Memory managers not working

Blog Entries

Ramboost acts like memmaker. Ramsetup allow you tpo tweek the config. qconfig shows type of mem available, types of drive in the system and how they are setup. Chapter 10 of the User Guide which you may find as pdf online.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Qconfig shows about 19mb extended ram and says that 0kb is free. So I should go into ramsetup to try and reallocate that?

Blog Entries

Run ramboost. I found the PC Dos User Guide and Chapter 13 will tell you what to do. It's all about memory configuration. https://archive.org/details/pc-dos-7.0/page/n7

This page explains the differences between MS Dos and PC Dos memory management http://www.telecommander.com/pics/li...PCDOSV.6.3.htm
    Last edited by Caluser2000; August 22nd, 2019 at 05:38 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Run ramboost. I found the PC Dos User Guide and Chapter 13 will tell you what to do. It's all about memory configuration. https://archive.org/details/pc-dos-7.0/page/n7
    Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at that in the morning. I did go into ramsetup and am I right in thinking that all the upper memory is allocated for rom based on this table? The table isn't making much sense to me because it's showing there is available memory when dos is saying there is none.

20190822_211110.jpg

Blog Entries

Just for fun put in your config.sys file a new line after himem.sys dos=high,umb restart and see if there is a difference in conventional memory.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; August 22nd, 2019 at 06:55 PM.

You can try the following changes:

CONFIG.SYS

Change NOEMS for RAM in the line that loads EMM386
    Change the line: DOS=HIGH to DOS=HIGH,UMB
    Comment out the line that loads IFSHLP.SYS
    Change DEVICE for DEVICEHIGH in the line that loads atapicd.sys (it's a CDROM driver, if you don't use one comment it)

AUTOEXEC.BAT

Put LH in front of the line that loads SMARTDRV.EXE
    Comment out the line that loads SHARE.EXE
    If you don't use the CDROM comment out the line that load MSCDEX too

Hope this helps

Those autoexec and config changes did change it, now 16k of smartdrv, atapicd, and about 224 bytes of SVaudio is loaded into high memory according to mem /c. So now I have 534k free, but it still doesn't seem to be enough. I have no idea why some programs are loading into high memory and others aren't
    Last edited by RadRacer203; August 23rd, 2019 at 04:41 AM.

I think it was the UMB addition that made the high memory available, finally.

Take this :

and change the RAM back to NOEMS and see if that helps. It should free up more upper memory.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I think it was the UMB addition that made the high memory available, finally.

Take this :

and change the RAM back to NOEMS and see if that helps. It should free up more upper memory.
    Just tried that and it freed up a couple kilobytes, but not much. It was enough to get over the threshold for the Creative install program though. The drivers are installed now, the last thing I have to figure out on this machine is how to get the original mwave card to play its line in continuously so I can loop the line out of the Creative card back in and have Sound Blaster sound

Blog Entries

PC-DOS 6.3 doesn't have great memory management. (PC-DOS 7.0 isn't better; it comes with RAMBOOST which is very buggy.) Your best bet is to install QEMM 7 or later and then run QEMM's OPTIMIZE program, which usually never fails.

Also, don't load SHARE any more, you don't need it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)