Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: New to me Rainbow 100A and VR201

There are ways to transfer files to dos computers using a serial cable. Laplink and fastlynx both are able to do this. Basically you transfer control to the remote computer using the dos ctty command. The problem is I have no idea if laplink or fastlynx executables are Rainbow compatible. Whether they just use DOS or if they try to write to the hardware directly. The other issue would be that those are dos or windows programs, so you’d need a virtual machine running windows (or maybe dual boot boot camp) if using a fruity computer.

Here is some documentation:
    http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/tran...l_transfer.htm

Aha. I was flipping thru the floppies given me and found one that had Kermit on it. I was able to transfer the file
    I dumped with debug. Is there an easy way to verify a ROM dump. Is there some signature block. The dump starts
    with B8 00 EE 8E D0 BC ... This matches the data that debug gave me so I hope it's correct. So this file now
    lives on my MacBook Air. Where can I store it for others to check? If I didn't get this quite correct then I'll
    be glad to try again. I followed the debug dump instructions as provided.

Aha. I was flipping thru the floppies given me and found one that had Kermit on it. I was able to transfer the file
    I dumped with debug. Is there an easy way to verify a ROM dump. Is there some signature block. The dump starts
    with B8 00 EE 8E D0 BC ... This matches the data that debug gave me so I hope it's correct. So this file now
    lives on my MacBook Air. Where can I store it for others to check? If I didn't get this quite correct then I'll
    be glad to try again. I followed the debug dump instructions as provided.

It appears the dump make be truncated. It stops at 5FCE instead of 5FFF or 6000 which is the number of bytes dumped. Maybe the final buffer
    did not get sent by Kermit or properly received? I haven't used Kermit in years so any ideas? I would think it would send the entire file.

Quote Originally Posted by tradde View Post
    It appears the dump make be truncated. It stops at 5FCE instead of 5FFF or 6000 which is the number of bytes dumped. Maybe the final buffer
    did not get sent by Kermit or properly received? I haven't used Kermit in years so any ideas? I would think it would send the entire file.
    I would be gathering some more data points by seeing what happens if you try a different protocol like YMODEM or ZMODEM.

Don't believe the Kermit I used supports other modes. I will have to look. I also need to check the original file to see if
    it too is truncated.

As I expected the size of the file on the Rainbow is 24576 (6000 * 4096) but on the Mac it's 24526. 50 bytes less. Hmmm.
    Does the Kermit "Finish" command push thru any remaining bytes? Any other way to guarantee that the entire file gets
    sent thru? I have to do some reading to try to find the answers.

Is this Microsoft Kermit 3.10? If so, I think you'll need to do a set file type binary and you'll need to do something similar on the Mac side too, assuming it cannot figure it out on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    Is this Microsoft Kermit 3.10? If so, I think you'll need to do a set file type binary and you'll need to do something similar on the Mac side too, assuming it cannot figure it out on it's own.
    Yes it is MS Kermit 3.10. I will try that.

That worked once I figured out how to set binary on the Rainbow. There was no way to set binary on the receiving end
    but the file now has the correct size. Thank you.