Image Map Image Map

Thread: I installed a SCSI2SD for my Amiga 500 but getting a ton of Guru Meditation errors

Default I installed a SCSI2SD for my Amiga 500 but getting a ton of Guru Meditation errors

Question for the Amiga wizards in the group: I've been working all afternoon to get my new SCSI2SD (version 5.1) installed into my GVP A500-HD+ "sidecar" for my Amiga 500. I've got everything hooked up, I was able to get the 512meg SD card partitioned and formatted, and I was able to copy the contents of my Workbench 1.3 floppy to the DH0 partition and boot from the SCSI2SD. SUCCESS!!

However, I'm now getting a ton of random GURU MEDITATION errors, which I hadn't been getting previously. They're popping up at random, sometimes during boot, sometimes during whatever activities I'm trying to do. For example, I was just trying to install Rise of the Dragon and I was able to get to disk 3 or 4 before it suddenly crashed with a GURU error.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? I've tried re-formatting my boot partition and re-copying my Workbench contents to it, but it didn't seem to help. Other possible clues:
    • My Power LED is now completely dark. For the past few days I'd noticed that it was randomly flickering / dimming, but now it's totally off even when the system is fully booted
    • My display seems a little odd. Specifically, it seems to occasionally flicker or "twitch" once, often shortly before a crash
    • Audio quality is bad. Sounds come out crunchy and distorted. Tested with different cables and different speakers, so I'm pretty sure it's the Amiga itself
    • I have a "trap door" RAM + clock unit installed, but it's never been opened so presumably the battery is failed (at best) or leaking (at worst). I'll try removing it and see if anything changes

I'm going to try to be methodical and test various things to see if I can narrow this down, but I'd certainly appreciate any clues - I'm not a very knowledgeable Amiga guy yet...

Quick update: I went ahead and removed the "trap door" memory / clock module, and things seem a LOT more stable now. I've been able to install / play multiple games from the SCSI2SD without any more Guru Meditation crashes yet. I'm hesitant to declare victory, but this seems positive so far...