Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recreating the Mindset Keyboard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    And, yep, routing is indeed an art. My first few attempts at laying out a board I kept routing myself into dead-ends over and over until I developed at least a little bit of a feel for how things should flow. (And don't forget, judicious use of vias can solve a lot of problems. It should be possible to do a keyboard in two layers, the trick is working out where you need to jump a column from one side to another.)
    I cannot believe people like Lee Felsenstein used to do this with light tables and tape!

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I cannot believe people like Lee Felsenstein used to do this with light tables and tape!
    You started with red and blue pencils on paper.
    The tape was the last step so you could make clean photo separations to send to the board house.

Blog Entries

Interesting. The account I read of the creation of the Sol said Lee and another guy were constantly having to readjust the tape to accommodate Bob's last minute changes or problems they found in the design, and they didn't even succeed in getting it fully right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Okay, so I got KiCAD going and, yeah, I think I might be able to make this work.
    1) When you are laying tracks, do you lay them just to the edge of the pads for each DIP socket? Or do you go right to the center (the hole)? I'm assuming to the edge.
    To the center. Pcbnew (KiCad PCB layout program) knows how to connect the wire )track) and the pad. If it passes the DRC without any "not connected" errors afterwards, you have done it right (at least this part).
    Torfinn