Image Map Image Map

Thread: PET 8032: any recognise the small unknown adapter, and how to fix damaged label

Default PET 8032: any recognise the small unknown adapter, and how to fix damaged label

Hi folks. My first time posting here, after scoring a nicely looking and working PET 8032.

It came with, amongst other things, a small beige expansion (connector days TEKA and a half readable number). It has no buttons or any text on it. Anybody know what it's for?

Also, the label says "C= commodore CBM Model 8032". It's peeling off, though. The adhesive seems to simply have "stopped working". What do you folks use for replacement?

I have access to professionally produced custom labels and I'm thinking of replicating it. I was wondering if there would be interest in more?

Photo of adapter, please.

Welcome to VCFED.

+1 for a photograph.

I have a Commodore PET 8032 minus the entire label, so yes I would be interested in one.

Where are you based? Can you update your profile so people know?

Dave

I have uploaded three pictures here: https://pixelambacht.nl/dump/pet/

Here's one:

I also included photos of the disks that came with it, they either have a description of the contents or a print out of the directory. If anybody sees something worth imaging, please let me know! It all doesn't look very obscure, but maybe something's worth preserving.

I'm based in the Netherlands, by the way! ����

Judging by how they've poured epoxy in that "adapter", I'm guessing it's just a security dongle for one of your pieces of software - i.e. needs to be connected to the user port or the software won't run. Prevents software piracy.

Yes, but it is for the cassette port. How would they know one would not need to use the cassette port?

It's a dongle for Wordcraft. The one I have seen is blue rather than brown though. Unless they used different colours for different pieces of software...

And +1 for the cassette port.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
    Yes, but it is for the cassette port. How would they know one would not need to use the cassette port?
    Good catch on the cassette port. There are two cassette ports on an 8032, so you'd still be able to use a datasette even with the dongle plugged in.

Thanks very much, everyone!

Wordcraft makes sense. I started it from disk and didn't see it complaining about a missing dongle, but then again I didn't spend much time in it. Went for the games

I will give the custom PET label a shot and post the results!

Thanks again for the help, and the warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ral-Clan View Post
    Good catch on the cassette port. There are two cassette ports on an 8032, so you'd still be able to use a datasette even with the dongle plugged in.
    Security dongles using the cassette port were fairly common; I've got a couple myself somewhere (but not for Wordcraft ).

Tying up the cassette port was not a big issue since the programs that used these dongles were disk-based; interesting question though, whether they could use both ports or just the external one.