Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 5160 keyboard issues...

Default IBM 5160 keyboard issues...

Dear All,

my beloved IBM 5160 has a keyboard illness!
    In the past I supposed the issue was related to the keyboard itself but today I am afraid the issue is related to the computer!
    The problem seemed solved changing the keyboard and infact today I was working with a NEW keyboard... but without any advise the keyboard stopped working: after a reboot I got error 301 at the startup!
    I tried other XT class keyboards but no results at all... only the feared (by me) 301 error, without any other number (that would be related to a pressed key).
    I looked over the internet and the best I have found is on my beloved minuszerodegrees site:
    No keyboard attached. ==>> the keyboards were attached (almost sue... I have tried 2 more apart the original one)
    AT class keyboard attached. That will not work. A PC/XT class keyboard is required. ==>> the keyboards are XT class
    Faulty keyboard - broken wire in cable. ==>> I have tried with different keyboards
    Faulty keyboard - wire loose in connector. ==>> I have tried with different keyboards
    Faulty keyboard - chip failure. ==>> I have tried with different keyboards
    Faulty motherboard - bad solder joint on keyboard connector. ==>> possible (I hope this is the issue...)
    Faulty motherboard - faulty keyboard circuitry. ==>> any help about this point?

I would like to understand if I am missing something!
    And some help, especially if somebody had the same issue in the past!

I think the main point is that the keyboard stopped working while I was using it (testing some CGA games)...

Thank you

Blog Entries

It isn't uncommon for the 5-pin DIN connector on the motherboard to succumb to stress in its solder connections. Carefully check those; buzz out the entire trace for each lead. Chances are that you'll find the problem. The keyboard circuitry on the 5160 is very simple--essentially a shift register connected to a port on the 8255. Squirt a bit of contact cleaner into the connector while you're at it.

I'm having some similar difficulties right now trying to get any keyboard working with my IBM 5160. Great advice on the DIN connector...I'll definitely be checking that.

I do have a question...can you damage anything (keyboard, motherboard, etc) by plugging the wrong type of keyboard in?

My sense is that you can't...the communication protocol just isn't right...but I really want to make absolutely certain before I do a certain test and risk one of my only working vintage keyboards (I literally don't know if it's an XT or AT keyboard)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTwain View Post
    I do have a question...can you damage anything (keyboard, motherboard, etc) by plugging the wrong type of keyboard in?
    For the scope of IBM 5160 and XT-class keyboards and AT-class keyboards, the answer is no.