Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Read DVDs with Win XP

Default How to Read DVDs with Win XP

Hi Guys,
    I have a PC running Win XP SP3 with a DVD rewriter. It reads and writes CDs just fine. However when I insert a DVD (game) I get nothing reading the drive with Windows Explorer. It's as if there were no disc in the drive. The disc light blinks for a while when first inserted and then nothing.

I have changed the DVD region from "not selected" to region 1. I am pretty sure the disc is region 1 (Godfather Part II from EA).

This is probably the first DVD I ever tried to read in a PC (if you can believe that). Is there some trick to getting the drive to read DVDs?

Thanks...Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I have a PC running Win XP SP3 with a DVD rewriter. It reads and writes CDs just fine. However when I insert a DVD (game) I get nothing reading the drive with Windows Explorer. It's as if there were no disc in the drive. The disc light blinks for a while when first inserted and then nothing.

I have changed the DVD region from "not selected" to region 1. I am pretty sure the disc is region 1 (Godfather Part II from EA).

This is probably the first DVD I ever tried to read in a PC (if you can believe that). Is there some trick to getting the drive to read DVDs?

Thanks...Joe
    Ran into that problem a few years back with my A7 build. The problem was that the CDROM wasn't capable of reading 2 layer CD's, like the DVD. Check out #35 & #36 here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...E-Deluxe/page4

Bottom line is you are most likely going to have to upgrade your CDROM to newer one that does DVD's. Look at the little logo's on the front the CDROM - it should indicate a DVD if it's capable.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Joe, have you been able to read this DVD game in any other machine?

Is it possibly a Blu Ray disk?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Bottom line is you are most likely going to have to upgrade your CDROM to newer one that does DVD's. Look at the little logo's on the front the CDROM - it should indicate a DVD if it's capable.
    Since he's using a DVD writer doesn't that indicate that it's not just for CDROMs?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Since he's using a DVD writer doesn't that indicate that it's not just for CDROMs?
    Well maybe. I thinking it's not a DVD writer and just a CD writer.

Most commercial video DVDs are COPY PROTECTED. It is usually not possible to view their contents via Windows Explorer. You must start your DVD Video player software and it should locate the disk and start playing the video. (Also be warned that most will automatically jack up the volume all the way so they can play unskippable advertisements, all praise our corporate overlords and be grateful for what they have graciously given us)

I've never encountered a DVD drive, except for some broken ones, that could not READ a dual layer DVD. That was the main point of computer DVD drives originally.

I've been watching DVD videos on my PC since Windows 95.

Precisely what I'm thinking. This has nothing to do with the operating system. The disc is incompatible with the drive in some way. Either it's not a DVD reader, or the disc is not a DVD (Blu Ray?).

I'm not up on modern home entertainment technology at all. I have less than a half a dozen DVDs, and no Windows newer than XP. Yet I can read all the DVDs I have.

Blog Entries

Do you know anyone that has a working DVD reader? I have a number of pressed DVDs that are no longer able to be read. Test the DVD before buying a new DVD writer.

Cleaning the DVD laser would be a good step. Check that your specific DVD writer can handle dual layer discs and both of the +R and -R standards. If the DVD writer is old, it may not support all the standards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Most commercial video DVDs are COPY PROTECTED. It is usually not possible to view their contents via Windows Explorer. You must start your DVD Video player software and it should locate the disk and start playing the video. (Also be warned that most will automatically jack up the volume all the way so they can play unskippable advertisements, all praise our corporate overlords and be grateful for what they have graciously given us)

I've never encountered a DVD drive, except for some broken ones, that could not READ a dual layer DVD. That was the main point of computer DVD drives originally.

I've been watching DVD videos on my PC since Windows 95.
    A DVD is a DVD. I questioned whether or not it is truly a DVD device. With older hardware it's easy to assume that it is. As I stated before, I ran into that problem previously and documented same. It sure looks like some sort of hardware incompatibility.

Well, let me clear up a few things.

1. These DVDs are games and not videos/movies.
    2. The drive is labeled as DVD Rewriter and shows in the Control Panel as a DVD, including letting me set the region code.
    3. I have tried reading two different DVDs without success on either one. The Godfather II and Elemental.
    4. Godfather disc clearly labeled as a DVD. No indication on the Elemental disc (even on my sealed copy in the box).
    5. I have not tried to read them on any other machine...yet. Any other machine I have with a DVD reader/writer has never been used to read a DVD so I would have to set the region code there as well.