Image Map Image Map

Thread: WTB: IBM 50Z internal Floppy Drive

Question WTB: IBM 50Z internal Floppy Drive

These drives aren't very robust. I have an original 50Z I purchased back in '88 and I'm on the third floppy drive. Before this current on goes, I want to get a spare.

Thanks

Seems to me there has been commentary about capacitors going bad in some of these drives - could be a relatively simple repair? I know they weren't very robust when I was actively tinkering with some old PS/2's probably 20 years ago. Not sure I have more than one good drive myself...

Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyfurr View Post
    Seems to me there has been commentary about capacitors going bad in some of these drives - could be a relatively simple repair? I know they weren't very robust when I was actively tinkering with some old PS/2's probably 20 years ago. Not sure I have more than one good drive myself...

Wesley
    I did take one of the drives and removed the noted capacitors. It was working as far as being recognized, but it still wouldn't read or write. The one I do have working must have an alignment issue. If I format a disk in it, it is not readable by other drives. Any disk formatted in another drive works in it. So I just have to hope this one lasts. For my second floppy I took my external CMS 360 drive and installed a USB floppy drive. I works great, but it can't be used to boot.