Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DOS Networking / Win 3.11 Networking

Blog Entries

Default DOS Networking / Win 3.11 Networking

Been out of the retro game for a while and finally jumping back in.....have a quick question hoping someone can explain:

My 486 has DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 running on it. Windows 3.11 is setup for networking, DNS works, Added Domain Information, and I can map needed shares from my NT4 DC. But in DOS I cant do any networking, ping, connecting to shares, etc.

I have the Networking software (tcpipb.exe and the rest) installed on the C: Drive as Windows uses it to connect. What do I need to do in DOS to get networking functioning properly so I can access the shares and other machines from DOS?

Or is it one or the other works, DOS or Windows?

Thanks ahead of time!
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Blog Entries

Depends on whose networking package that you're using. If it's the one that comes with Windows 3.x or WFWG 3.x, it works in Windows, but not in DOS, if I remember correctly.

However, there are DOS-native packages, though they tend to be a bit memory-hoggish unless you have EMS 4.0+ installed.

One exception is Mike Brutman's networking package, mTCP. Mike's got a good survey of DOS networking here.

If you want to jump forward a couple of years, there's always WIn9x, provided you have a 386 (Win95) or 486 or better (Win98SE, WinME).

Windows for Workgroups has it's own built in network stack implemented as protected mode .386 VXDs. As such, networking is only available when Windows is running. That includes TCP/IP, file share access, print share access, and local file sharing.

In practice, most DOS networking clients were pigs and much more complicated, frequently requiring a reboot to a network-free configuration just to run large programs. So having networking inside Windows (of course you can run some DOS programs inside Windows) and then exiting to a clean environment for running large programs such as games, is usually preferable. It's actually the same thing with 95 and 98 when your "restart in dos mode" and it just exits to DOS.

Technically, you can run Windows 3.1, 3.11 FWG, and even 9x on top of DOS networking clients but only if the WFWG/9x protected mode networking is disabled.

If you are in need of networking from pure real-mode DOS, do consider Mike Brutman's mTCP.

mTCP and a packet driver are all I use in DOS, perfection

Blog Entries

Thanks all, I appreciate it.....I dont know why it escaped me that I can just download / copy what I need from Windows and then exit to DOS....lol......

Going to look into mTCP for my 386 that I still need to get networked without taking up to much memory...took a brief look tonight....still want to get the 386 into my NT4 Domain, so will see what is needed for that and mapping my Retro Shared Drive.

Speical thanks for the DOS Networking Survey, looking forward to going through it!

If you want to use DOS, just for fun, the ms-client 3.x for dos should be on your NT 4.0 server disk.

Blog Entries

mTCP works nicely on a 128k PCjr: Brutman.com

Mike

Blog Entries

Its been a while but didn't TCP/IP need to be installed to WFW 3.11 as an add-on?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Yes, the TCP/IP stack for WfW 3.11 was distributed as TCP32B.EXE.

Blog Entries

Correct, I did install the TCP/IP Stack to Windows 3.11 to get it working....

My NT4 Server does have the MSClient files on it.....