Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Radio Shack

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I worked at an arcade many eons ago and that was adjoined to a Nathans. I did eat there, but it wasn't terribly often.
    Would this happen to have been the one in Westbury, NY just off of Old Country Road ?

This is the first I've heard of Nathan's, but then I've never been in that part of the country.

The best places that I know of to get F&C (though it's typically not called that round here) only serve it on Fridays. But then I don't get out enough to know of other places.

I recall several years ago being somewhere up north, and for some reason thought that it was Friday. We were at a restaurant with a whole page of options for Friday Night Fish Fry, and I asked for the haddock. (I think they also offered cod, Pollack, perch, and tilapia). It was Saturday, but the waitress didn't know I thought it was Friday. I ended up being surprised with a really good fish sandwich. A lot of places have other fish options that aren't F&C, for days other than Friday. But I notice that for at least some places this means Saturday, not the rest of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    Would this happen to have been the one in Westbury, NY just off of Old Country Road ?
    Lol nah in the hood in Coram, Suffolk county on Middle Country rd., rte. 25. That area must be absolutely ghastly nowadays, I worked there in 1987. Born in Brooklyn, family moved to eastern (or central really) LI in 1975.

This s not the place I mentioned, but not only does it exemplify what I was talking about ... they took on yet another partner:

https://www.seldenpudgies.com

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Ok, I get it. It was on account of the big war I presume. Dad used to tell me about it as he spent time in England (even after WWII as he was a merchant marine. That's how he met mom, poor guy . I remember and episode of Lovejoy Mysteries where someone ate f&c from a newspaper. Perhaps for show (I.e some sort of nostalgic sentiment), or as you say they used faux newsprint. And I'm hungry I wish I.could get good f & c somewhere.

Is it all it's cracked up to be, even these days? Is the fish caught locally or shipped in from somewhere?
    I think the newspaper thing goes back to the 19th century. You're right that the war had a big role in fish and chips becoming a lasting national staple - though they were massively popular with the lower classes by about 1900, in WW2 fish and chips were exempt from rationing, so they broke out of class boundaries and became universal. You could still get fish and chips in newspaper when I was a kid in the 80s just as a normal thing (no ironic/nostalgic thing going on there) so Lovejoy may well have just been normal-for-the-time. To be honest I'm one of those awkward veggies so I'm only after the chips, but there are a lot of grim fish'n'chip shops, a few great ones, and a few expensive upmarket pastiches of the real thing. I'm told the good stuff is still good.

Radio Shack though... In the UK I remember Tandy shops up to about the mid 90s, they seem to have been a worse version of approximately the same thing. There was a bit of envy around for the US having Radio Shack, rumoured to be much better, but I seem to recall nearly all components here being mail order. By the time I finally visited the US, Radio Shack had become a phone shop I was quite disappointed! The anglophile-American I married didn't remember it being anything else, but didn't grow up around soldering irons. I hope at least a few of the odd remnants of it are OK.

A look through a 1980 UK Tandy catalog(ue) if you want to see how it differs from what Radio Shack was offering in the U.S. at the time:

Just gotta ask ... is tartar sauce made available for the fish? Ketchup for the chips? Neither would seem quite right without them. Perhaps sounds odd. Heck Germans are known for dipping their fries in mayonnaise. No one loves mayo more then me, but encapsulating a whole french fry in it? I'll have to pass, ty.

Blog Entries

Arthur Treachers has tarter sauce and also their special vinegar if you like that.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Always tartar sauce, ketchup, and coleslaw. Often marble bread, clam chowder, and oyster crackers, too. The fish is almost always all-you-can-eat.

It's problematic for me because I don't use the tartar sauce, nor do I eat the coleslaw. And I always have to ask for lemons.

I was wanting to hear from justanotherhacker. I know how we eat over here.