Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I live mail-in rebates!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Because they're hoping that you won't redeem them.
    Bingo! This is what rebates are all about. Else they'd just lower the price and save everyone the hassle.

Well it's far easier to register the card, online or on the phone, then it is to deposit a check. Unless you have a funky app. It *may* be less of a book keeping hassle to supply cards, don't know.

And that reminds me, I lost a 10$ card lol somewhere in the house. But I vow to find it. They're not jipping me out of that 10$.

I once got an 850 watt power supply from NE for 20$. They lowered the price, there was a substantial rebate, then I looked later in the week and they lowered it again. 20 bucks. Granted it's a no name, unknown name probably overrated thing. But still, 20 bucks. When I want a deal I'll get it. Barring that mystery meat Xeon
    Last edited by tipc; August 29th, 2019 at 05:25 PM.

Blog Entries

The cards are good for face value for something like a year then after that they take out a fee until they are empty. So if you lost a rebate card a few years ago it is probably worthless now.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Are you sure? That's illegal in Wisconsin. I'm not sure which other states might have done this, too.

This rebates card thingy is mainly an American phenomenon, isn't it? Can't say I've run into it anywhere else. It sounds like a lot of hassle though..
    (I've got enough issues with 'point cards' for fuel - at one point I got rid of them all, and now I have a single credit card which I connected to a rebate system that gives me an automatic and immediate price reduction on the pump price if I fill at a couple of specific stations. Anything more complex than that I don't want to handle.)

Possibly; but then I haven't run into it in the USA either. Only "rewards" cards. All the rebates I've ever tried involved paper checks, vouchers, or coupons.

I wouldn't call those "rewards" cards rebates because there's no work involved in receiving them. Purchase something, points accumulate, and the cards (annoyingly) show up in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Possibly; but then I haven't run into it in the USA either. Only "rewards" cards. All the rebates I've ever tried involved paper checks, vouchers, or coupons.
    If I had to I would have guessed I'd see 'cheque' in the preceding sentence.

I don't know the cards seem easier to deal with then.cheques. Perhaps that's even the reason they started using them. People moaned over cheques, and fewer people use banks these days.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    ...and fewer people use banks these days.
    I don't know what corner of what planet you're referring to but everybody I know uses banks.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

The point is if there's a segment of people, nerds, hackers, who don't have real jobs or whatever, they may not have a place to deposit a check. Why else would they issue cards?

I thought the days of not needing a bank account were long gone. Even small employers require direct deposit these days.