Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most defining computer laptop?

Default Most defining computer laptop?

Dear forum, I'd like to know in your opinion what was the most defining computer laptop and why. Look forward to some productive debating. Regards.

For me one of the very early defining laptops is the Olivetti M15(+), because this already looks very common, compared to much later models. M15 is 512 kBytes 80c88 @ 4,77 MHz with CGA LCD, 2x 720kB Floppy. The plus version replaces one FDD by 20 MB XT-Bus-HDD.

Another important one is the first Apple power book, because it invents the mouse pad position in the middle in front of the keyboard, like 99% of the today's notebooks also use that layout.

But also very important is the Olivetti S16, S20, S25, D33 family (Triumph Adler Walkstation series, Acorn A4) as they were the first ones to have a mousepad, between keyboard and display. They are of the 286, 386SX-16 to 386DX-33 era.

Interesting detail: M15, S25 and D33 and Walkstation 386 have the courious detail that you can take out their keyboard and lay it in front of the laptop as external keyboard.

An interesting one is also the ATARI ST-Book as it introduced the "Vector pad" to move the mouse. That Vector pad works the same way as the red track point of later Thinkpads, but it's outside of the keyboard.

The godfather of every Netbook and other modern small formfactor notebooks is the Olivetti Quaderno, with NEC V40 CPU and ROM based MS-DOS 5. And if you look for even smaller devices, there is Atari Portfolio, Poquet-PC, Sharp PC-3x00, HP 200LX etc.

Don't forget Toshiba T1x00 as the first LCD based MS-DOS laptops.

Blog Entries

For me, its got to be the ThinkPad series. Really the first proper laptop that you could just sling in a bag and know it was going to work...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

My earliest memory of what I would call a laptop is the Toshiba T1100 I saw in PC magazine. The I think it was the Zenith SuperSport. Lately I've been playing with the Epson PX-8. My favorite, one I spent a lot of time working on, is the Toshiba T4700CS. I couldn't afford the CT!

The Kaypro 2000. Because if you dropped it, it would redefine your foot.

That Kaypro 2000 is nice, and it also has keyboaqrd to take out, interesting.

What no Grid Compass?

I'd go with the Tandy (Kyocera) TRS-80 Model 100. More "Laptop-like" than "Laptop", it showed that portable computing was indeed possible...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    What no Grid Compass?
    I'll vouch for it, even though I don't have the pay bracket to afford one.
    well engineered body and the visuals would mimic most portables until the late 80's when they started getting more compact but MAN it was neither cheap or PC compatible until the second generation.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Data General/One (1984)--pretty much defined the form factor for laptops to follow (virtually unreadable LCD display, however):