Image Map Image Map

Thread: Announcing another TRS-80 Software project: APSHAI18!

Default Announcing another TRS-80 Software project: APSHAI18!

It got started last Xmas, so i'm hoping to get some real progress later this year.

https://github.com/voidware/apshai18

In case anyone is interested, I did machine-language speedups to the original games (Temple of Apshai and Hellfire Warrior) quite a few years ago. This vastly improves the drawing speed and disk load/save times. I have omitted the "level" data files, so you have to possess the original games(s):
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice!

I found for the display required, most of the time is spent drawing horizontal and vertical lines. I think the original release would have really benefited from this kind of speedup. IIRC there were several sequels and spin offs, why they didn't optimise the drawing i don't know.

Hi @steaminghacker. Thanks for making this, and your other projects, available as open source. It's great to be able to see how you got the sdcc C build environment working for the TRS-80, and will make it easier for others to start their own projects.

As for Apshai18, I assume using the arrows keys to move the dungeon around, and the I and O keys to zoom in/out is all it does at the moment? I don't see the movable character which you show in your animated gif file.

BTW, I notice that a bit of trek14 (command.c) has found its way into this project!

Oh, I found the movable character. You need to be zoomed in all the way (using I key), and it's in the lower left part of the map. Then use A or D to rotate, W to move forward.

Hi, Glad you like it!

This project is work in progress. I've done the dungeon generation and early version of movement, which needs refining - for example, you should be able to hold a key to move fast (not done yet). Yes, only the highest zoom shows room content. It's possible i might show a dot on the zoomed out views.

Next step is to add monsters, traps and treasure. Turns out the lists of original contents is now documented, so i'm going to populate the dungeons with the same items, so the game has a bit of original feel. I need to make a random, but sensible content placing algorithm.

Then there's monster AI. Perhaps they wil chase the player for up to 3 rooms away or something.

Well spotted, command.c. Oops! Yes, i copy most of the support code from my other projects. Actually the scott19 project has newer os.c so i need to merge in some later improvements. Hopefully also some file I/O as well.

will be working on this project over xmas this year, hoping to make a playable version by then.

Nice--I had a mad dream to port an early version of Rogue over to the TRS-80 Model I/III but time got away from me. Never played Apshai but it looks like it's a similar type of game.

I have an existing board game written in C (for Linux/Mac/Windows) that I tried porting over with z88dk/sdcc, but I could never quite get the keyboard I/O or the malloc stuff working right. It kind of looked like keyboard I/O for the TRS-80 was still a bit of a work in progress in sdcc, and I didn't have enough familiarity with the Z-80 instruction set or the various compiler flags to investigate thoroughly. I'll definitely be looking through your source for clues, and hopefully contribute back if I can.