Image Map Image Map
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: mTCP updates coming soon: Send me your bug reports

Blog Entries

Found a Realtek RTL8139B PCI card. I found a packet driver here. I'll give it a try.

I use a 3com 3C905C PCI with its packet driver for dos

Blog Entries

Finally got around to installing the Realtek PCI card with packet driver in a P3 Win98SE box (not running the GUI, just DOS). The NIC is connected to a wireless adapter. (FWIW, I can't run the Windows GUI because bits of gear hooked to the box require real-mode drivers.)

Pretty simple to get it going, with one small glitch: the lease time is reported as 60 seconds the first time I run DHCP after boot. I did set DHCP_LEASE_THRESHOLD to 20 seconds, to avoid the "run DHCP again" messages. I still need to run DHCP twice, but I don't know what to do about that one.

Otherwise, things seem to work well.

Sixty seconds? Are you sure about that? I don't think I've ever seen a DHCP server give out a least that short.

Blog Entries

That's what's reported by DHCP. Is there a way to sniff out the conversation to verify? FWIW, WinXP and Ubuntu don't have a problem with it.

There is a packet trace mode .. set two environment variables, run DHCP, and then send me the resulting trace:

SET LOGFILE=filename.txt
    SET DEBUGGING=255
    DHCP

You are the first person to report something like that ever, so I'm looking forward to seeing the packet trace.

Mike

Blog Entries

Done, with PM sent. TIA

As predicted, I've never seen this happen.

Assuming the timestamps in the trace are accurate, your DHCP server is very impatient. Here is the timeline, all from the point of view of the client.

07:37:33.13 Client sends DHCP request
    07:37:33.35 DHCP offer is received, but it's not for this client
    07:37:33.40 DHCP offer for this client is received, lease time is 7200 seconds
    07:37:33.40 Client sends back the "We'll take this offer" message.
    07:37:33.40 Client receives another offer message, , lease time is 7200 seconds
    07:37:33.40 Client responds again with "We'll take this offer"
    07:37:33.68 Client receives another offer message, this time for a 60 second lease
    07:37:33.68 Client responds again.
    07:37:33.68 Client receives the final ACK message form the DHCP offer.

It would seem that the DHCP server sent 6 offers in a very short period of time - basically within the same small faction of a second. I can't tell if it didn't get the response packet or not, as this is UDP. But it sent the same offer 6 times in a row, so that implies it thinks it timed out. UDP is not guaranteed delivery, but nothing should ever time out that fast.

Your DOS machine seems to keep up with the barrage. The last offer comes in 28/100ths of second after the first 6 offers and that one seems to stick.

So what is this horribly impatient and fast DHCP server, and what networking tech are you using? (10, 100, 1G, or some silly fiber thing?)

Mike

There is one other detail I just discovered ...

The first six addresses offered end in .64 . The last address offered ends in .104. Digging deeper the first six addresses are offered by a DHCP server with hardware address 04:8D:38:EA:03:30:08. The successful DHCP server is at DA 0D 16 6E BF 9A.

Two DHCP servers on the same subnet is a no-no, isn't it?

I'm not seeing the whole trace of the network, so I suspect the initial offer from the first server was bad and something else is responding to it, possibly because the address is already in use by a machine.

Update: Two DHCP servers are allowed on the same subnet, but only if they split the address range that they serve. Please confirm you have two running, and I suspect they are serving overlapping addresses, which is why the DHCP client saw two different DHCP servers. Splitting their scope probably solves the problem.