Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mTCP updates coming soon: Send me your bug reports

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    All of this gets done under the packet driver interrupt. One memcpy per packet with no inspection of the packet needed.
    Ah, that's even better! 30fps should be possible if only one memcpy is happening. But there are about 5 people in the world who can run ISA network cards on a PCjr, so my suggestion is to design it to work with more common cases (speeds) too.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

The technique stays the same even if the hardware does not. The only thing that changes if the FPS ... I'd really like to get Ethernet in the modem slot though. For bonus points I'd like to have Ethernet on a sidecar so that it can use shared memory, which is the fastest way to do it.

Even with the crappy Xircom adapter 10FPS should be more than doable with this technique, and I think that 20 FPS can work. If I can figure out a way to make the packet driver not copy the header part of the frame then things get even more fun, as you can use the length creatively as a signal to rewrite only portions of the screen, cutting down the required number of bytes going through the parallel port.

(Actually, come to think of it, copying the 14 affected bytes first, then telling the packet driver where to write, and then fixing those bytes wouldn't be that expensive.)

Blog Entries

What kind of bandwidth can the modem slot support? I can't quite grok it from the tech ref manual.

20fps is simple math, 80x25x2x20=~80KB/s. I don't think a stock 8088 PCjr with a Xircom can hit that, but 8-10fps will still look cute.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You lost me there. What is 'bring-up'?
    I meant the time between "I got an old computer with a floppy drive and virtually no information" and "I can boot the system reliably" on a Philips :YES. Since I do not have a universal retro-support-machine (called "tweener" above), it wasn't easy and took place as a side-project over a few months. At work, it is the time between getting new hardware and making it work good enough to actually start software development. Sorry for the confusion.

FTP ASCII vs. BIN: Nobody seems to realize this but the server controls the default transfer mode, not the client. To give the illusion of a client setting the default mode the client has to stuff a "BIN" command ahead of any transfer or at the beginning of the session.
    Exactly. Therefore, my (and I assume, Trixters) suggestion is to do exactly that unless a command line switch was given. In my view of the world, ASCII transfers are virtually always a mistake.

A backup-only program makes perfect sense to me. [...]
    You are thinking about rescuing data from old or failing drives, and I agree completely. However, I am thinking also about preparing an environment within a virtual machine (with the correct geometry) and just writing that to the target system - or being able to switch between different environments (such as DOS, OS/2 or PC/IX).

Originally Posted by Stone
    You lost me there. What is 'bring-up'?

Quote Originally Posted by Svenska View Post
    I meant the time between "I got an old computer with a floppy drive and virtually no information" and "I can boot the system reliably" on a Philips :YES. Since I do not have a universal retro-support-machine (called "tweener" above), it wasn't easy and took place as a side-project over a few months. At work, it is the time between getting new hardware and making it work good enough to actually start software development. Sorry for the confusion.
    Ahhh, now I see.

Anyway, you should have a tweener. It just makes life (for us here) a lot simpler and much more fun. You can actually do a lot more with it than just make floppies. But I'm sure you know this. I use mine along with DOS USB support for flash drives and various ramdrive types including command line drives that can be both created and removed easily along with being able to be resized. Plus, with my 233 mHz tweener, I can run DOS programs like I never could when DOS was contemporary which makes those old programs that much more interesting.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

+1 for IPv6

I would like to see the gopher client you started. I realize its not as popular as other apps, but there is still a large body of work still on remaining gopher sites.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Would it be possible to have the FTP Server write the files to the local disk while preserving their last modified date? I don't know if FTP even provides for a file timestamp so this may be stupid
    My vote for this one. Another RFE: recursive directory transfers (i.e. mget/mput -r <mydir>)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dieymir View Post
    My vote for this one. Another RFE: recursive directory transfers (i.e. mget/mput -r <mydir>)
    Actually, this coupled with preserved file timestamps would be really fantastic for both backing up systems, as well as bulk-loading systems where the hard disk has been replaced.
    Offering a bounty for:

Here's something, and I don't know if it's a mTCP thing or a packet driver thing. I have two different systems (286 and 386sx) with 3C509B NICs. Both of them have the packet driver and mTCP's DHCP client in the AUTOEXEC.BAT. On both different machines, a soft restart (ctrl+alt+del) will cause DHCP.EXE to fail to get an address, while a hard restart using the reset switch or power button will work just fine.

Again, this could just as easily be a problem with the 3com card itself or its packet driver. Just thought it was worth mentioning.