Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying To Find InfoServer 150 Boot Media

Default Trying To Find InfoServer 150 Boot Media

Hey, all. I recently acquired an InfoServer 150 that I was hoping to use as a MOP server in my small VAX lab. Unfortunately, poking around I can't seem to find hide nor hair of the install media described in the manual for getting this thing booted and initialized. Is there anyone with more knowledge than I who might know where I could track down such a thing?

I have an InfoServer, so I probably have the installation media. I will look for it.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

The software is available on one of the Freeware CDs (along with the VXT software if you want to boot one of those from an InfoServer). I can find a link later when I'm at a PC instead of a phone.

http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/openvms/f...llections.html

See if that link works. It downloaded a PDF index which had a link to download an Infoserver.zip which should contain the software you need.

You guys are the best, I'll check those out.

I'd read a usenet thread that vaguely mentioned there was something on the freeware CDs, but it wasn't very clear in context whether it was the software for a real infoserver or if it was the software-infoserver tools for VMS.

I'll try not to bug you guys too much, but being pretty much a complete DEC/VMS neophyte I have to say that I am incredibly appreciative that I know where the helpful gurus hang out.

Here is a direct link:

downloads.hpe.com/pub/openvms/freeware/infoserver/infoserver.zip

The zip file contains 9 image files:

InfoServer MS-DOS V2.0 client floppy disk images
    ak-plz3c-ca_1-of-3.img
    ak-plz3c-ca_2-of-3.img
    ak-plz3c-ca_3-of-3.img

VTX Software V2.1
    InfoServer/VMS
    ag-pjjhh-be.img

InfoServer/VMS V3.5 (I believe this is the one you need to start with)
    ag-r7lfa-bs.img

InfoServer CDR Function (Open Access)
    ag-q1mua-xe.img

InfoServer 1000 Tape Function (Open Access)
    ag-pybja-xe.img

InfoServer 100/150 Tape Function (Open Access)
    ag-pjxla-re.img

InfoServer 100/150 Disk Function (Open Access)
    ag-pjxka-re.img

I have restored the software a few times to disks on InfoServer 100 and InfoServer 150. It's been a while since I the last time so I forget some of the details. It was reasonably straight forward at the time.

In addition to using the InfoServer as a MOP server, you can also set it up as a LAD (Local Area Disk) server. It can be handy to use an VMS installation source to boot another VAX over the net to install VMS if the other VAX doesn't have a CD-ROM drive.

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    It can be handy to use an VMS installation source to boot another VAX over the net to install VMS if the other VAX doesn't have a CD-ROM drive.
    Yup, this is my exact plan. I have a MicroVAX 3600 that I've only been able to get as far as booting as a cluster member from a SIMH master. I clearly want to install to the internal drive, though, and it was significantly cheaper to get an InfoServer and another AUI transceiver than a QBus SCSI controller.

The CD Drive in a typical InfoServer may not like CD-Rs. I've got the same one in my VAX 4000 and it doesn't even read official DEC media. I can recall an anecdote from an unnamed DEC engineer saying the RRD42's were slightly above "slobbering idiot" intelligence.
    Collector of all things Digital.
    In collection: VAXserver 3100, VAXstation 3100, DECpc LPv+ 433dx, Rainbow 100B, and VAX 4000-100A. Plus over a hundred Digital items ranging from documents to coffee mugs.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Yup, this is my exact plan. I have a MicroVAX 3600 that I've only been able to get as far as booting as a cluster member from a SIMH master. I clearly want to install to the internal drive, though, and it was significantly cheaper to get an InfoServer and another AUI transceiver than a QBus SCSI controller.
    If you have a BA213, BA215, BA430, or BA440 chassis VAX and an M7626 KA660 4000-200 or better CPU one option is to pick up an M5976 KZQSA SCSI controller. Those can often be found for somewhere around the $50 range on eBay. They are cheap compared to a general purpose Q-Bus SCSI controller because they are not MSCP compatible and they are really only good for SCSI CD-ROM drives with VMS.

If you have a MicroVAX 3600 with an M7620 KA650 CPU, that doesn't support booting from an M5976 KZQSA, so that wouldn't be an option in your case and just as well that you picked up the InfoServer.

Quote Originally Posted by DECtechGuy View Post
    The CD Drive in a typical InfoServer may not like CD-Rs. I've got the same one in my VAX 4000 and it doesn't even read official DEC media. I can recall an anecdote from an unnamed DEC engineer saying the RRD42's were slightly above "slobbering idiot" intelligence.
    I was wondering what CD-ROM drive the original poster got in his InfoServer 150?

The InfoServer 100 that I have came with its original RRD40 CD-ROM drives. The bad thing about those is that they use a CD caddy that is unlike any other common CD caddy and if you didn't get one with the drive you might be looking for a long time before you find one. I eventually found some CD caddies for my RRD40 drive. I don't remember offhand any issues with CD-R media. I don't have original InfoServer installation media so I must have installed from CD-R media, although it's possible I used a newer RRD45 drive at the time. I'd have to set up the InfoServer 100 again to give it a try to be sure now.