Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEC TU60 Verbatim T300 Cassettes

Default DEC TU60 Verbatim T300 Cassettes

Found a original sealed Verbatim DC30 Cassette suitable for a TU60 drive.
    The plastic Seal had contained a code sticker 51372/DC-30-3795
    The box the code stamp T300 9118 3795

This type of cassette has only 1 red flip Write Lockout for the A-side.
    B-side has a notification not to write to that side because it contains a 1600 FCI Pre-Recorded clock track
    for tape speed control.

Indeed tested in a normal Audio cassette recorder a High pitch Tone on the B-side is there.

As I have already a "IT Information Terminals Sunnyvale, California" T300 cassette that came with the DEC TU60
    I checked for also that Tone -Nop.
    Only very faint I can here some same pitch on both sides that tape.Seems further empty, No data to be heard.
    This tape has both sides that red flip Write Lockout.

Question:
    I was wondering If the DEC TU60 need a 1600 FCI Pre-Recorded clock track on it's B-side for tape speed control?

Think the code T300 stands for the fysical layout with that typical notch-out at the center top and those Write lockout switches?

B-side Verbatim DC-30 T300
    20190903_Verbatim-T300-TU60-Cassette-Bside.jpg

IT T300 Cassette that came with the TU60.
    20190903_HT-Information T300-Came with TU60.jpg

I checked the manual, and there is no clock track.
    They also warn that the tape is thicker and the felt pad is different.
    The tape also needs clear leaders on each end.

The DC-30 you got was probably originally for an MFE cassette drive, which does require
    a clock track for motor control. TU60's don't run at a fixed tape speed, they're like DECtapes
    not surprising since they were designed by the same guy (Tom Stockebrand)

Thanks,

So f.i. the MFE Model 250.
    A Brochure 1973 of that machine with detail information.

The tape has a clear leader so suitable for the TU60.

I'll will make a copy of that B-track.

The problem I had with Verbatim T300 in a TU60 is that he original pressure pad is made of foam with a thin sheet of filt on it. The foam is not as good as it once was of course. I replaced it with a some of those adhesive felt floor protection pads you put on furniture. I cut it into suitable shape. Works fine.

Tried tapes marked NCR but I guess that some kind of lubrication has vapoured away since it was squealing a lot when winding and they were prone to stick. Then there were more modern tapes, Maxell CS600. But the Maxell tapes were much thinner and failed just after a few rewinds.

Quote Originally Posted by MattisLind View Post
    Tried tapes marked NCR but I guess that some kind of lubrication has vapoured away since it was squealing a lot when winding and they were prone to stick.
    Do you still have many NCR tapes?

I have a board set and schematics for the 399
    http://www.thecorememory.com/html/ncr_399.html

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    Do you still have many NCR tapes?
    Not NCR, but I have a bunch of Burroughs cassettes (the same type as above) containing L Series utilities and applications, and also a working drive. ISTR that you were planning to come up with something to read these tapes as also used in B1700s etc.; did you ever come up with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Not NCR, but I have a bunch of Burroughs cassettes (the same type as above) containing L Series utilities and applications, and also a working drive. ISTR that you were planning to come up with something to read these tapes as also used in B1700s etc.; did you ever come up with anything?
    Not yet. I think I have two Burroughs drives, one is on my desk, and I dug out the original paper copy of the schematic for it. The Burroughs tapes do have a clock track.
    I have an NCR transport coming that I bought on eBay, at least for the 399 these were made by TEAC.

I've been down a very deep rathole the past few weeks trying to recover 70's Datapoint cassettes.

The L series is of interest because CHM has a couple of machines but we have no software afaik.
    I bought L-4000 assembler paper tapes from eBay, but haven't read them in yet

too many projects going on at the same time

l4000.jpg

The brochure on IA is from me

I've been promised an MFE manual and docs for the Phi-Deck I've been trying to get going

I have an MFE drive, slightly newer model than Herb is talking about
    http://www.retrotechnology.com/mcm800/mcm800_tape.html
    It has TTL instead of DTL ICs

The RICM has an NCR 8250. The boards look about the same size as the ones in the 399. This system has a cassette deck, and a stack of cassettes that looks like they hold cash register software.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Quote Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
    The RICM has an NCR 8250. The boards look about the same size as the ones in the 399. This system has a cassette deck, and a stack of cassettes that looks like they hold cash register software.
    http://www.thecorememory.com/html/ncr_8250.html