Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amiga 1000 boot issues

Default Amiga 1000 boot issues

Greetings.

I recently acquired an Amiga 1000 with original keyboard. For the record, Iím quite Amiga challenged so please bear with me. This is my first Amiga and never had one growing up.

First, I believe my floppy drive is dead. When booting I would first get a dark screen, then a lighter gray screen, then it would seem to hang on a white screen. I disconnected the internal floppy and connected a Gotek. Now when I boot, I Ďbrieflyí get the Kickstart prompt, then it goes away. A bit later, it comes back briefly before going away again. Is this normal behavior?

When I select a Kickstart .hfe file in the Gotek, whether version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3, it loads Kickstart, then gives me a Workbench prompt. The Workbench prompt is stable and does not go away like Kickstart does. At this point, selecting the corresponding Workbench version image on the Gotek, I get no joy. No change on the screen, and the file does not load in the Gotek. As I said, I have tried multiple Kickstart and Workbench version .hfe files without success. Itís as if the Amiga didnít recognize the disk change.

I have tried both interface = jc and interface = amiga in the Gotek FF.CFG, no difference.

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly welcomed!
    - Don Mankin -

[
    TRS-80 Models I, 4, 4p, Coco 2, 100, 102. Tandy 1000 RLX. Osborne 1a.
    At
    ari 800, 520 STm. Commodore 64.
    Amiga 1000. TI-99/A. Sinclair ZX-81]

Never mind, worked it all out. I would delete the post since there were no replies, but.... how?
    - Don Mankin -

[
    At

Blog Entries

You don't. You tell us how you solved your own issue as to prevent a Wisdom of the Ancients scenario.

= Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    You don't. You tell us how you solved your own issue as to prevent a Wisdom of the Ancients scenario.
    Good point. The screen was flashing because I neglected to spray contact cleaner into the video connector. Either the downloaded Kickstart or Workbench ADF image was bad. I downloaded both again, created .hfe files, and they worked perfectly. I couldn't get a Kickstart prompt with the floppy drive, I needed to hook up the Gotek USB drive. I then took out the floppy drive, greased the rails, and cleaned the heads. Put everything back together again and now I'm getting the Kickstart prompt.

Right now I'm in search of Catweasel programs that will allow me to create real Amiga floppy disks under DOS. I've used the Catweasel to create TRS-80 diskettes many times. Great device. But not with Amiga diskettes. i also need to find a DSDD 720K floppy to plug into the Catweasel box. Right now I only have a HD drive. I wonder if the Catweasel will double step the drive and make readable Amiga diskettes?

I'm fortunate enough to have scored this Amiga 1000 along with two C64's, two TI-99/4a's, a Tandy 1000RLX, and an Atari 520ST. The two TI's worked as soon as I plugged them in. I've gotten one c64 running, and waiting for a switch for the other. I've not addressed the Atari 520ST or Tandy 1000RLX as of yet.
    - Don Mankin -

[
    At

3.5" drives are all 80-tracks whether DD or HD, so no double-stepping. However, some drives don't work in DD mode very well- the older the better for this support.

You can always get an external drive cable, hook the Gotek up as DF1, and diskcopy to real disks.

Also, you don't need to convert to HFE. FF works fine with ADF files.

Ok so I turned up my old Windows XP machine and wrote ADF images to 3.5 floppies using the Catweasel and ImageTool3. I booted up the Amiga 1000 and could hear the floppy drive chugging. But it did not read the floppy. <pout> Not sure if it's a bad drive or bad write.
    - Don Mankin -

[
    At

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    3.5" drives are all 80-tracks whether DD or HD, so no double-stepping. However, some drives don't work in DD mode very well- the older the better for this support.

Also, you don't need to convert to HFE. FF works fine with ADF files.
    Well I'll be dipped...

You can always get an external drive cable, hook the Gotek up as DF1, and diskcopy to real disks.
    Thanks for your input. More on this please. Keep in mind I'm an Amiga noob.

So I get an external drive cable for the Amiga, I'm assuming like this, https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ive-1896447067. Then I use the Workbench to duplicate the disk? That sounds like a great solution if I can find the cable.
    - Don Mankin -

[
    At

I found this on ebay... would this do the trick? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-compa...sAAOSwx9lcO3B1

On another note: I have two Goteks on the internal cable. Is this supported by Amiga, or must the second drive be attached externally?
    Last edited by Fooser; September 7th, 2019 at 09:51 AM.
    - Don Mankin -

[
    At

Can the Amiga boot off the external Gotek drive?
    - Don Mankin -

[
    At

Fortunately I figured it all out. Not much activity on this thread surprisingly.

For those interested, I've concluded that you cannot have two drives connected to the internal cable on an A1000. You can hang the second off an external Gotek Adapter jumpered for DF1. The first internal drive be jumpered as DS0 for DF0 and the second external drive must ALSO be jumpered as DS0 for DF1.

I've been unable to boot Kickstart off the external drive. I assume it's because you need to hold down keys during the boot process to swap the boot drive, yet the Kickstart rom hasn't been loaded yet to enable that process.
    Last edited by Fooser; September 18th, 2019 at 05:32 AM.
    - Don Mankin -

[
    At