Image Map Image Map

Thread: AES Plus (Model 103)

Wink AES Plus (Model 103)

Hi, this is my first post!

I recently acquired an AES Plus Model 103 computer (with printer), or more correctly, a word processor, from an elderly woman. This was her late husbands, which he used in the late 70's and early 80's at work as general manager, and then took home after the company was acquired.

The problem is, I find next to nothing about this on the internet. Seems it has connections to a company called Ventek, which also might have connections to Norsk Data. I had hopes on finding a manual or schematic of the computer, but the internet fails again.

So the owner insisted that this thing was working, so I tried turning it on when I came home (it's built like a tank, with cast iron bottom), but nothing happened (no smoke).
    Maybe I should try opening it up, but since this is a all-in-one-computer, the CRT is there and I am a bit afraid of killing myself ..

Anyways, enjoy the pictures, and maybe you have some tips for me?

20190905_201019.jpg20190905_201009.jpg20190905_204501.jpg20190905_204519.jpg

Blog Entries

AES dates from the days of Trudeau père (Pierre). After it ran into problems, it was sold to Lanier. So we've had at least one other poster writing about this: here. My recollection is that it uses hard-sector floppies.

Thanks a bunch, so I'll add Lanier as keyword too when searching or asking around as it might be more known world wide than AES.

Check the fuse on the back? It may have blown over the years, could be an easy fix to get started.

Blog Entries

PhilipA has not been active on the forum for a year but he is likely your best bet at troubleshooting anything inside the machine. See if you can get his attention.
    = Excellent space heater

YES! I changed two fuses, one was 2A and the other 3.15A (which I dont have, so I used 2A)
    It booted, and while I still don't own the boot disk, I loaded a random disk and the display came up, even the printer.

After 4 minutes the fuses blew again, and now they break every time I start the machine. Maybe something else is wrong now (or its my too small 2A fuse which I plan on changing to 3.15A when I get hold of a 32mm 3.15 A, I only find 20mm locally).
    20190907_184036.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by bifo86 View Post
    Check the fuse on the back? It may have blown over the years, could be an easy fix to get started.

Blog Entries

I had one of these, with a fixed-in-place keyboard.

aec_0004.jpg aec_0009.jpg

Picked it up off the 'Free' bench at Cal's Computer Warehouse in Vancouver. Screen would not light up, but it would typewrite up top. What a beast!

Some time after I got it, a gentleman contacted me and advised that he had worked for the company, and that supposedly the system *could* boot to floppy and use some variant of CP/M. I don't know how accurate that is. But I believe he did mention the software being quite rare, possibly in development, and on hard sector floppies. He was going to look into it for me but we lost touch, and then eventually I got rid of the thing to make space. Man was it crazy heavy!

Blog Entries

Lanier advertised CP/M as an option for the 103. I've never run across any disks for that, though. Some itch in the back of my memory also says that the disk format (aside from being hard-sectored) was a bit odd (sector size not a power of 2?) and that the disk capacity under CP/M was somewhat less that it was under the native WP software.